one minute test recording by kghezzi

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
kghezzi

Post by kghezzi » April 4th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Hello!
This is Karen Ghezzi, forum login kghezzi. I am nervous and excited to be a part of LibriVox. I recorded my test using Audacity with a USB Samson G Track Pro microphone on a MacBook Pro computer. Looking forward to your feedback!
Below is the link to my test recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kghezzi.mp3

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 4th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Hello Karen, welcome to LibriVox! I am very glad that you are excited to be here, but I hope that your nervousness goes away. While everything may seem new and intimidating, I think you will find it is a very welcoming and supportive community!

There is only one thing I am going to ask you to work on, and that is the background noise. You have a decent amount of that. I am hoping the steps are the same on your MacBook Pro as they are on my Apple laptop, but if something is not quite working for you we can troubleshoot together :D:
1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 0.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.

Once you do this, please upload with the same file name, post in this thread, and I'll take another listen! I hope this is a quick fix, and we can get you recording so that nervousness vanishes :D!
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

kghezzi

Post by kghezzi » April 5th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Well, my Mac doesn't have the same menu items that your Apple has so. . . I tried something else. I called the company that made my microphone. The tech I spoke with told me to turn my mic volume down. I believe this has reduced the background noise but now I'm concerned that the volume may be too low!

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 5th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Interesting. Yes, by turning your mic volume down you will get less background noise, but you will also turn down your volume. Have you downloaded the Checker program yet? This can help you check your volume yourself. It is a bit low now, at 81.7 dbs when we need 86-92 (89 being preferred). If you tried to amplify it, I think you would run into the same problem with the noise. So, I think we should leave the mic input volume up. Do you have any menu options similar to 'effects'? If not, is there any place to search for 'noise reduction'? I know on my mac the last menu option is 'Help'. If I start typing 'noise' in there, the effect comes up. Let me know if you can find this, if not, we can troubleshoot some more :D
Campbell

kghezzi

Post by kghezzi » April 5th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Oh! I was looking in the hard drive of my laptop, NOT Audacity for your previous instructions! Ok, I followed your instructions in Audacity. The only thing I had to change was the Frequency from 3 to 0. Also in this newest test, besides changing the frequency, I upped my microphone volume a little bit. Fingers crossed!

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 5th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Oh no! I apologize if I did not make that clear enough. Yes, you have to change it in Audacity itself :D.

Anyways nice work! Your volume was nearly perfect at 89.3 dbs! I would still recommend the Checker program, as volume can change frequently and it never hurts to check :D. And nice work on the noise reduction, it helped quite a bit! If I were you I would do the noise reduction a second time, that would remove it even more. However, you have shown you are great at this task, and the background noise is minimal enough that I can give you the OK to begin recording! Nice work, and I'm glad you figured it out. I hope to see you around the forum!
Campbell

kghezzi

Post by kghezzi » April 5th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Please, don't apologize to me--I'm the ding dong who is technically challenged!
But YEAH! I got your OK! Thank you for your patience with me.
Now I must find a small project to get my feet wet.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 5th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Great! Have fun, and make sure to ask if you have questions :D
Campbell