1-Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
elissagraeser

Post by elissagraeser » April 3rd, 2019, 5:31 pm

Hi, everyone-

I've posted the link to my test file below. Thanks in advance for your help!

Elissa

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_elissagraeser.mp3

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 4th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Hi Elissa, welcome! You have a wonderful voice with a nice flow that is perfect for our community! And guess what, your tech specs are all ok, yay :clap:! I just have one optional note:

You have some slight background noise that could most likely be easily cleaned up. What recording software are you using? If it is Audacity, I could give you step by step instructions, if not, I can direct you to a place to get help.

Let me know, and I can give you these instructions. Then, if you wanted to get feedback on your noise reduction skills, you could always re upload with the same file name, post in this thread, and I will take another listen. If you don't want to do this, you have the OK to begin recording, yay!
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

elissagraeser

Post by elissagraeser » April 4th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Thank you for the kind words and for the helpful feedback! I'm using Audacity, so any advice you have I'm ready to take! I didn't do anything to clean up the audio before uploading, but I also don't hear the background noise you're describing. I think perhaps I don't know what I'm listening for? I am entirely new at this and looking to improve, for sure.

Thanks again!
Elissa

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 5th, 2019, 6:33 am

Great! I'm not surprised you don't hear the background noise. It isn't very bad. I did listen to your test through headphones, and that can sometimes highlight these things. And again, it is still very slight, which is why I made it optional :D. It's just something I noticed and thought that if you wanted to change it would only make things better :D. Here is how I played with your recording:
1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: 10, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 0.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.

Like I said yesterday, if you want to re upload feel free to, otherwise I shall see you around the forum :D.
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers