One-minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
mjneal

Post by mjneal » March 25th, 2019, 7:05 am

Hello,

Here is my one-minute test:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/oneminutetest.mp3

Interested in feedback.

Best,
Michael

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 26th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Hi Michael! Welcome to LibriVox! Your voice is clear and direct, will be great to have you here! First we need to fix a few issues however :(.

The first is your volume. Yours currently is at 70.5 dbs, we need it to be 86-92 with 89 being preferred. If you haven't already, downloading the program Checker is a very nifty way to see your volume.

The next issue is the bit rate. We require a rate of 128 kbs constant, yours is at 91 variable.

Do you use Audacity? If so, I can give you more detailed instructions. If not, I can refer you to other places to get help if needed. Hope to get you recording soon!
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

mjneal

Post by mjneal » March 31st, 2019, 2:42 pm

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 5:42 pm
Hi Michael! Welcome to LibriVox! Your voice is clear and direct, will be great to have you here! First we need to fix a few issues however :(.

The first is your volume. Yours currently is at 70.5 dbs, we need it to be 86-92 with 89 being preferred. If you haven't already, downloading the program Checker is a very nifty way to see your volume.

The next issue is the bit rate. We require a rate of 128 kbs constant, yours is at 91 variable.

Do you use Audacity? If so, I can give you more detailed instructions. If not, I can refer you to other places to get help if needed. Hope to get you recording soon!
Hello,

I am using Audacity. I will download the Checker program! Instructions would be great and I can record the 1 minute again if necessary.

Best,
Michael

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 31st, 2019, 2:51 pm

Perfect! Luckily, all of these things are very easily fixable without having to redo anything (but if you want to re record you may)! And since you have Audacity, I can easily give you some instructions :D:

For the volume, I recommend increasing the microphone slider in Audacity, so that it will input at a higher value. This will take some experimenting, as if you increase it too much you can cause distortion. So, if you wanted to re record with a higher input volume to try it out you could, but is not necessary. To fix this recording without having to redo anything, you will:
1. Select your entire recording
2. Go to menu items Effect>Amplify
3. Enter whatever number you need to get to 89 (in this case 18.5) in the first box
4. Hit OK.
This should get you to the required range!

Since you will be amplifying by such a large amount, I suspect you will run into a trouble with background noise as well. If you hear any background hiss or anything of that fashion, you can:
1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: I've used anywhere from 10-20, 12 often works for most people, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 6.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.
7. Take a listen, you may find that you want to do this over again to reduce more noise.

The other issue I had mentioned is your bit rate. This is actually fixed when exporting:
1.Go to export it (menu items file>export)
2. Look under the Format Options section
3.Where it says 'Bit Rate Mode', select 'Constant'
4. In the 'Quality' drop down menu select 128 kbps.
You should only have to do this once, and it will remember your settings! Yay!

And then, it will always help to run this through Checker to make sure it passes that. Once you have done this, please re upload with the same file name and post in this thread, and I will take another look! I hope this helps, and let me know if you have more questions!
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers