[OK] One-Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
fwbutzen

Post by fwbutzen » March 24th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Hello! I'm new to LibriVox, and have just posted my One-Minute Test here: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_fwbutzen.mp3

I made the recording was made on a Zoom H2 recorder, and converted it to MP3 using Audacity under Ubuntu 18.4.

Any feedback you care to give will be most appreciated. Thanks!

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 26th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Hello! Welcome to LibriVox! I quite enjoyed your reading style, you will fit right in here! First, however, there are a few things that need to be fixed. Since you say you have Audacity, I will give you instructions on this program.

The first issue is your volume. If you haven't already, downloading the program Checker can help you see your volume. Your volume is currently at 71.4 dbs, Librivox requires a range of 86-92 with 89 being preferred.

I recommend increasing the input volume in your device, so that it will input at a higher value. If this is not possible however, take these steps:
1. Select your entire recording
2. Go to menu items Effect>Amplify
3. Enter whatever number you need to get to 89 (in this case 17.6) in the first box
4. Hit OK.
This should get you to the required range! Since you are amplifying by such a large number, I suspect you will have a background noise issue, and you will most likely need to run noise reduction on it. If needed, I can provide detailed instructions :D.

The next issues can be fixed at the same time. The first is that we require mono sound, your recording is in stereo. The other is that we require constant 128 kbps, yours is variable 131. These are easy fixes that occur when exporting!
1.Go to export it (menu items file>export)
2. Look under the Format Options section
3.Where it says 'Bit Rate Mode', select 'Constant'
4. In the 'Quality' drop down menu select 128 kbps.
5. At the bottom of the screen, select 'Force to Mono'

Once you do this, please re upload with the same file name and post in this thread. Then, I will take another listen! We'll get you running in no time!
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

fwbutzen

Post by fwbutzen » March 29th, 2019, 7:32 am

Formatting and amplitude has been corrected:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_fwbutzen.mp3

I didn't hear any noticeable background noise after amplification, so I didn't use Audacity's noise-reduction feature.

I hope this passes muster! Thanks for the feedback.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 29th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Yes, it's perfect now!

Welcome to Librivox and have fun recording for the projects that interest you! :clap:

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 29th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Thanks Rapunzelina! It forgot to notify me :hmm:, sorry about that! Have fun recording!
Campbell

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 29th, 2019, 4:28 pm

It was a separate post, so I merged the threads, and maybe that's why no notification. But I had already listened to the recording, so I thought I'd go ahead and comment, too. :D

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 29th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Ah, gotcha. Well good to know, if the threads are merged you are not notified! Thanks for listening anyways :D
Campbell

fwbutzen

Post by fwbutzen » April 1st, 2019, 4:09 pm

Many thanks to you both, for the prompt responses and for the details directions on how to fix my recording. It is much appreciated!