this is my test recording - feedback needed please

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Cathrad28

Post by Cathrad28 » February 9th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Hello,

I have just recorded the test audio using audacity for windows with a logitech usb microphone headset. Here is the link https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_cathrad28.mp3 and I look forward to your feedback.

Many thanks, Catherine

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » February 10th, 2019, 6:26 am

Hello Catherine,

Welcome to LibriVox! Good to have you with us. :)

Thank you for the test. It sounds nice. A few technical aspects of it do require your attention, though.

First off, it's in Stereo. I am not sure whether you record it in stereo, or just exported that way, so please make sure that you have number of channels selected as 1 - Mono, and when exporting, force the output to Mono.

Second, it's a bit soft. We need the volume to be a touch higher. Just a touch. You'll get the hang of it eventually. There are two methods known to me to get the volume in the acceptable range. One is to check the exported file (MP3) using Checker. Please read that wiki page and follow its recommendations. The volume Checker reports on its 'Information' page needs to be in the range 87-91 dB. If it isn't, select the entire track and use the Amplify effect to either make it louder of softer, as needed.

The other method described on this wiki page.

Once you get the number of channels and the volume under control, please make sure to export with constant bitrate of 128 kbps. As a matter of fact, Checker will tell you if your file isn't right, so before you upload, run it through Checker and get the green light.

If you have specific questions, if something is not clear, do ask, we are here to help.

Hope to hear you again soon! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please