1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Nichalia

Post by Nichalia » February 5th, 2019, 4:58 am

Hello!

I'd love feedback on my test! Recorded in Audacity, Mac OS 10.11, with dynamic mic Shure SM7B.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_nichalia.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 5th, 2019, 5:35 am

Hello Nichalia, welcome back :)

your test absolutely passes all basic criteria and tech settings :thumbs: On top of that, I love your expressive way of reading, especially the little chuckles :lol: they plaster a grin on every listener's face I'd bet. I already have a hunch that you will find your way soon into our drama forum. We're always happy to get new voices in there. Plenty of great plays to choose from :9:

If I had to mention anything, be careful with your volume, it's just at the lower accepted limits (86.6 dB) We accept between 86 and 92, with 89 being the preferred average. So 2 dB more would have been optimal, but this is perfectly acceptable as well. Just don't go any lower ;)

The test gets the official OK and you're free to tuck into your first project. Have fun, and I'll be seeing you around some day !

Sonia

Nichalia

Post by Nichalia » February 5th, 2019, 8:24 am

Excellent! Thank you so much, Sonia!

I confess, I don't understand at all what you mean by these limits... I know about total RMS, for example, but where do I find the measurements to check the volume to get the numbers you're looking at? I just ran my file through the checker and hoped for the best when submitting, hahaha. Really happy to learn more though!

:)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 5th, 2019, 9:03 am

Nichalia wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 8:24 am
I confess, I don't understand at all what you mean by these limits... I know about total RMS, for example, but where do I find the measurements to check the volume to get the numbers you're looking at? I just ran my file through the checker and hoped for the best when submitting, hahaha. Really happy to learn more though!
well if you have the Checker that's a perfect control for volume then. See Checker tells you the dB, you should have gotten an info where it said 86.6. So if for example Checker finds out it's only 82.1 then it would have "failed" your file. And you go back to Audacity and amplify by 6 to reach 88.1 dB and then all is well. If Checker tells you it's 95 for example, it would also fail your file and you need to amplify with -5 to get back to 90 dB which is also inside our limits.

It's simple calculus. Look at the number Checker gives you and if it's inside 86-92, you're good, if not, amplify by the number needed to get as close to 89 as possible. :)

Sonia

Nichalia

Post by Nichalia » February 6th, 2019, 1:46 am

A ha! Got it! In the Checker, there's an "Information" tab and it has that there, under Volume. Perfect! Thanks!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 6th, 2019, 2:04 am

Nichalia wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 1:46 am
A ha! Got it! In the Checker, there's an "Information" tab and it has that there, under Volume. Perfect! Thanks!
yes it's under Information. Sorry, I wasn't precise enough. But you found it. :thumbs:

Sonia