Audio test - Book of Jubilees [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
timetravel718

Post by timetravel718 » January 29th, 2019, 3:05 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Jubilees_test.mp3

Recorded on my Lenovo Phab2 smart phone. I didn't use any program persay, just the internal audio recorder app. I feel like the sound quality is pretty good, however i noticed the inhale while I was reading. It's not super loud, but it is there. I already have an idea for a fix, just haven't tested it yet.

Also, here is a copy of the book I plan to read. I have found several pdfs of the same text, and it says it was written in 1913, so I think we're good.

http://wesley.nnu.edu/index.php?id=2127

The book has a pretty long introduction. Honestly, I don't really want to read that part, but if it is required, I guess I don't have much say.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 29th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Welcome!

Using a smartphone recording app - are you able to edit the recording? No one records flawlessly, but has stumbles, repeats, and other goofs to edit out or to replace with a fresh recording of the phrase. You could possibly record on your phone, then transfer the file to a computer with audio editing software (such as Audacity). But that will get tiresome after a while, I'd think. :hmm:

Regardless, there are a few technical settings that need fixing:

1. The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). It's at 79.7 dB, so it needs to come up about 10 dB.

2. The bit rate should be 128 kbps. It's currently at 32 kbps.

3. The sampling rate should be 44.1 kHz (44,100 Hz). It's currently at 48,000 Hz.

4. The recording should be in mono, not stereo.

I have no idea how to adjust these settings in a phone app. :) I'm suspecting you probably can't, because they're usually designed to be a quick and dirty recording method rather than one for things like audiobooks. But I could be wrong.

Try making these adjustments if you can, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)

timetravel718

Post by timetravel718 » February 1st, 2019, 5:36 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_high_quality.mp3

Second attempt. Let me know how it goes. Thanks much.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 2nd, 2019, 8:40 am

(Merging this with your other thread to keep everything together.)

Volume is now about 97 dB; can you get it about halfway between the two volumes you've had so far? :)

Hmm. The bit rate is still 32 kbps, and that's a pretty important tech setting to have correct. You say you don't have a computer. Could you use something like this? https://online-audio-converter.com/

It looks like their standard settings are OK for us, EXCEPT that under Advanced Settings, change Channels from 2 to 1.

(This still doesn't address the issue of editing. Are you going to be able to open the file after it's recorded and make changes to it?)

Another option for online conversion is http://auphonic.com/ - which is much more powerful, and can volume adjust as well. You're limited to 2 hours of audio processing per month for free, although last I heard, if you contact them and let them know you're doing it for LibriVox, they will increase that limit.

timetravel718

Post by timetravel718 » February 2nd, 2019, 2:04 pm

I'm assuming by channels you mean the stereo/mono difference?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 2nd, 2019, 3:26 pm

Correct - that's what that setting means. 2 channels = stereo; 1 channel = mono.

timetravel718

Post by timetravel718 » February 3rd, 2019, 6:02 am

timetravel718

Post by timetravel718 » February 7th, 2019, 5:19 am

So I posted my third audio test a few days ago, but i don't know if i did it right because I have yet to get a reply. So, just in case i DID screw it up, I made one more test.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/demo_three_for_jubilee.mp3

If i didn't screw it up and I posted two copies of test 3, well. Shame on me. Sorry for the over posting. I just really wanna record this for personal reasons, and if you guys and gals can use it too, well. Hey. Win/win. Right?

Thank you again.

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » February 7th, 2019, 9:24 pm

No, you did post your test correctly, it's just that apparently everyone overlooked it! :oops: Sorry about that!

I took a quick look at the previous thread for your tests. It looks like your first test was way too quiet and your second one was a little too loud. There were a few other issues with it (channels, bit rate, etc) which you have successfully fixed! :clap: But the volume is now way too loud, at 103.4 dB for your "test3" and 104.1 dB for your "demo_three_for_jubilee." :(

I wish I could give you some guidance on how to address this, but as far as I know, you are in uncharted territory in that you're doing everything on your mobile phone. To my knowledge, no one has yet done it successfully. (I don't say that to discourage you, but just so that you know you're kind of pioneering this!) I didn't see that you had yet answered Tricia's question regarding editing. Are you able to open your recording in your phone and edit it to cut out mistakes and things like that?

timetravel718

Post by timetravel718 » February 10th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Yes. Audio cutting is good. I found an app that will let me remove segments that i screw up AND let me adjust volume levels post recording.

My plan is this, Sorry it may e a little annoying, but here it is. I can record the chapter, cut the mistakes, send it to you for review, re-adjust volume levels, send it again, and finally have a finished product suitable for finished work.

If you're willing to put up with a few extra listening tests for audio checks, I'm willing to be the 'pioneer' in this trial.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 10th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Do you have a way of adding audio? For example, if you accidentally skip reading a paragraph (it happens!), can you add that in to your recording when the error is discovered?

timetravel718

Post by timetravel718 » February 10th, 2019, 5:52 pm

I do! I just have to record the additional segment and cut/paste it into place.

timetravel718

Post by timetravel718 » February 10th, 2019, 6:32 pm

I have one more question though. Once I start recording actual chapters, where do I post them?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 10th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Each project has instructions in the first post of the project thread. The post gives instructions on intro/outro wording, file naming, and uploading instructions. The usual procedure is something like the following:
- Claim a chapter/section in the project and get confirmation of the claim
- Record and edit it
- Upload it using the instructions in the first post
- Post the uploaded file URL and the file duration (mm:ss) in the project thread
- Watch for any edits needed, or for a "PL OK"
- Make the needed edits; upload again using the same file name
- Post the URL and file duration in the thread again
- Get that final PL OK. 8-)

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » February 10th, 2019, 10:29 pm

timetravel718 wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 5:34 pm
Yes. Audio cutting is good. I found an app that will let me remove segments that i screw up AND let me adjust volume levels post recording.

My plan is this, Sorry it may e a little annoying, but here it is. I can record the chapter, cut the mistakes, send it to you for review, re-adjust volume levels, send it again, and finally have a finished product suitable for finished work.

If you're willing to put up with a few extra listening tests for audio checks, I'm willing to be the 'pioneer' in this trial.
So it sounds like you're not able to check the volume yourself, pre-upload. I do think that eventually, you'll begin to get a feel for how loud is too loud and what is loud enough. And since everything else is fine with this test, I personally feel comfortable with giving you a PL ok now, provided that you make sure to tell your DPL (dedicated proof listener) in whatever project(s) you end up doing that you'll need specific feedback on your volume level.

It sounds like you're wanting to record this Book of Jubilees as a solo, if I've understood you correctly. Is that right? If so, that's wonderful! However, before you jump in, we do highly recommend that you participate at least a little bit in one or two group projects. This is because as a soloist, you'll be in charge of your own project start to finish, just about, and it's pretty overwhelming if you're not yet used to the work flow we have in place. I'd recommend it even more strongly in your case, since it may take you a few tries to get your volume adjusted. You can check out any of the Readers Wanted forums to find a project to join. The weekly poetry is a popular choice for those who want something very quick and easy. You'll find it in Short Works.

One last note to keep in mind: The text you've linked to will very probably not be acceptable as a source text. (I'm not an admin, but I've been around long enough to recognize what kinds of texts are usable.) I was able to find two versions of this book at the Internet Archive, however, and either one will certainly work for you without anyone questioning its public domain status:
https://archive.org/details/CHARLESBookOfJubilees (1902 printing)
https://archive.org/details/bookofjubileesor01char (1917 printing)

Best of luck, and I hope to see you around the forums! :D