Listener wanted for 1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
oogiesragdoll

Post by oogiesragdoll » January 6th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Hello,
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/text_oogiesragdoll.mp3

Please listen to my test to see if my equipment is set-up correctly. I recorded in Adobe Audition on Windows with a USB headphone mic. Thanks for the feedback and your time!
Last edited by oogiesragdoll on January 8th, 2019, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » January 7th, 2019, 1:16 pm

hi and welcome to librivox!

i have checked your test and there are a couple of issues with it. as you are using adobe audition i can only tell you what is wrong though but not how to fix it, but if you look through the settings you should be able to find the right controls.

your technical settings are at 192 kbps, 48.000 Hz, Stereo (Joint).
we need them to be 128kbps, 44100 hz, mono.

your volume is also low at 75 decibel. we are aiming at 89 decibel, with an acceptable range of 86-92 decibel :)

i hope you can find the right controls for that. could you please make these changes and reupload? let us know if we can do anything for you :) thank you!
Carolin

Please help us finish Zofloya, a gothic tale of horror, love, and intrigue, in which the devil himself pulls the strings...

oogiesragdoll

Post by oogiesragdoll » January 7th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Thank you for the feedback, I'll go fix those settings

oogiesragdoll

Post by oogiesragdoll » January 8th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Here is a new upload, please give it a listen

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_oogiesragdoll.mp3

Thank you

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 9th, 2019, 3:34 pm

You did find the correct settings for Mono and bit rate, but this test's volume is still too low, at only 79 dB. That's a bit of an improvement over 75, but there's still a long way to go. You may be able to adjust the input volume of your mic within Audition (I wouldn't know, as I don't use it), but I know you can adjust this within the audio settings of Windows. I have Windows 10, and to get to this setting, I right click my desktop and choose "Display Settings," then choose "Sound" on the left. Here, I find my microphone and click the link under it that says "Device properties." In the window that comes up, there is a tab labeled "Levels." That is where you can adjust the input of your mic. I've found that a perfect level for me is 94, but of course, that will depend on your microphone and other factors.

Once you change this, record the test again to see how it affected the volume. You can use the Checker program if you like to check your own volume.

oogiesragdoll

Post by oogiesragdoll » January 9th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Thanks for the hint, I'll try it. A big problem I'm running into is Audition uses a different scale, it stays under 0 db and I can't find a good way to convert it. Does anyone know where to find something or how to convert it?

Sattvi

Post by Sattvi » January 10th, 2019, 7:29 am

oogiesragdoll wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 6:51 pm
Thanks for the hint, I'll try it. A big problem I'm running into is Audition uses a different scale, it stays under 0 db and I can't find a good way to convert it. Does anyone know where to find something or how to convert it?
fiddle around using hit and trial with different values. A couple of tries later check different versions using https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker . The version that passes is your answer. Use same x db value for all recordings in post production. Hope this helps.

oogiesragdoll

Post by oogiesragdoll » January 11th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone, I think I got it this time

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test3_oogiesragdoll.mp3

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 12th, 2019, 11:30 am

Yes, you've got your settings all right now! :clap: Now that they're set, you shouldn't need to mess with them again. I assume, anyway, that Audition will save these settings for you, so that you won't have to worry about it.

There is an unintended consequence to raising the volume of your recording. (Sorry!) It means that your background noise becomes louder, too. You now have noticeable background noise, whereas before, it was too quiet to hear. In Audacity, it's very easy to reduce the background noise, and it looks like Audition has a similar feature. I found this, which I hope will be helpful for you: https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/noise-reduction-restoration-effects.html

If you feel comfortable using this effect on your future recordings, I feel comfortable giving you an OK on your test so that you can start recording something more fun than Peter Piper. But if you want to submit one last test after noise reduction, to make sure you have a handle on it, I'm happy to come back and double check one more time. :D

oogiesragdoll

Post by oogiesragdoll » January 12th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Thank you so much. I was definitely focused on the settings first, thanks for the tip on the noise. I tried the effect you mentioned, does this sound better?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test3_oogiesragdoll.mp3

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 12th, 2019, 11:36 pm

Yes, it's beautiful! Great job on plugging away through those changes. You're all set, and I see that you've already found a couple of projects to get involved with. :D Have fun, and I hope to see you around the forums. :thumbs: