New reader test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Jabu2906

Post by Jabu2906 » January 3rd, 2019, 4:51 pm

Hiya

Finally managed to find all the pieces of my mic. Here's my test, many thanks guy.

I'm eager for feedback

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test_Jabu2906.mp3

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » January 4th, 2019, 7:55 am

hi and welcome to librivox!

you sound great, i cant wait to hear more from you! :thumbs:

i do have two little technical things for you to fix. we need our files in a specific format or archive.org, where we store our files, will give us trouble. so i need you to change the bit rate and the mode of your file:

check this wiki article, which explains it perfectly: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_1-2-3
i think you are using audacity 2.0 if you have just installed it. the step-by step guide is included in this wiki article :)

these issues are super easy to fix. let us know if the program gives you any trouble. could you please change these settings and reupload for a final check? thank you!
Carolin

Please help us record The History of Pendennis, a lesser-known but no less fabulous novel of Thackeray's!

Jabu2906

Post by Jabu2906 » January 13th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Hi Carolin,

Thanks for this it was a huge help. I've just run up against one issue with it however, I'm using 2.1.2 and when I get to;

Now look at the "Format Options" box.
Here select:
Constant
128 kbps
Force export to mono
Now click on "Save", and your mp3 will be exported at 128 kbps.

when I get here I have a problem, on the last bit for 'force export to mono' the only channel mode options presented to me are 'joint stereo' and 'stereo'. Am I looking at the right place? or is there some kind of work around I can use to get everything working how it should be?

Sorry about this.
Thank you.

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 15th, 2019, 12:32 am

You'll choose joint stereo. Maybe your version isn't the newest, if it has that wording, but it doesn't matter. Joint stereo will do the trick! :thumbs:

EDIT: I wouldn't know about versions. Mine's a bit older because I'm scared to update it! :lol:

Jabu2906

Post by Jabu2906 » January 31st, 2019, 12:29 am

Fantastic, many thanks guys <3

Jabu2906

Post by Jabu2906 » February 2nd, 2019, 8:22 pm

Hi again

Thanks for reminding me to get a fixed up version of the test up and running Carolin, here's the new thing. Hopefully everything is good to go, I think I followed the instructions properly

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_jabu2906.mp3

Many thanks

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 11th, 2019, 12:53 am

Hello Jabu

sorry that this test somehow dropped off the radar. So the good news is, your technical basic settings are correct now and it's in Mono. Audacity will have saved these settings, so nothing to change there anymore.

The volume is a tiny bit below our accepted limits. 2 dB more would have been perfect. This would not be so dramatic for this test now, but the high level of background noise is quite disturbing. Did you re-record from scratch ? I notice that the first test wasn't as noisy.

In any case, it would be good to track the source of this noise, and try to move the microphone away from it. ;)

In Audacity you can use the noise-cleaning function, and I tried it, but I had to run it 3 times to get to an acceptable level. This is what I did, if you want to try it out yourself:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

Now you can try to clean this, but maybe easier would be to re-record a small snippet once more, after you found the source of the noise.

One more time please. Just post in this same thread.

Thank you

Sonia

Jabu2906

Post by Jabu2906 » February 15th, 2019, 1:15 am

Hi Sonia

Thank you for checking in on this. Not a problem, I'm sure everyone here has a hundred million things on the radar, so no stress at all.

Sorry about the noise, it's should be fixed now. Scrubbed and all.

I did re-record it. Nothing like practice!

Here's the new and improved fixed audio for your perusal. Fingers crossed, I hope I got it right this time, it's been through checker and it said it was fine. But it doesn't have that human ear for nuance.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test3_1_jabu2906.mp3

Many thanks,
Michael

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 15th, 2019, 1:24 am

hi again Michael

great, you already have the Checker downloaded :thumbs: yes indeed you passed with warnings, meaning there is still some noise, but you're right, it's not that disturbing, so this is fine for an official recording. You need to be careful with your cleaning though, do not do it too "aggressively", this may distort the sound of your voice a bit. It's more preferable to do two light rounds of noise cleaning than one aggressive one (this depends on the value numbers you're putting in).

So, for now, here is your OK on the test. You are ready to roll, just in time for the weekend :D Thank you for being persistent. :thumbs: You'll see, with practice and with each recording it will get easier and you will find methods to improve even more. It's always fun to go back after a few years and listen to your first few recordings to find out how much your technique has improved over time :lol:

Have fun ! I hope you already found an interesting project to start out in.

Sonia