1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
RuthP

Post by RuthP » December 4th, 2018, 4:26 am

Look forward to getting feedback!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ruthp.mp3

used Audacity with a USB mic

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 6th, 2018, 5:03 am

Hi Ruth and a warm welcome to the forum fun :)

thank you for your test. Your reading is very clear to understand and nice to listen to. That's already a good foundation for an audiobook.

On the technical side we need to do a few minor corrections though. I have Audacity too so I can give you some easy step-by-steps. Please do the following to your previous test, no need to re-record.

1) your DC bias is quite high, you can remove it this way:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Normalize
> tick Remove DC offset and press OK

2) your volume is much too low, only 77 dB, while we accept between 86 and 92 dB. You need to boost it by 12 dB to get to the desired average of 89.

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 12 in the upper slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

3) the background noise is a bit disturbing, especially after amplification by 12 dB ;) please run a round of noise-reduction:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise reduction
> now select OK

and that's it, the other settings are totally fine. Could you please correct these 3 things and reupload the test in this same thread, then I can have another listen. :)

Thanks

Sonia

RuthP

Post by RuthP » December 7th, 2018, 7:53 am

Hi

Thank you for your clear instructions,

hopefully this will be better now :)

Thanks

Ruth

RuthP

Post by RuthP » December 7th, 2018, 9:00 am

Sorry, I should also have said that I decided to do a new recording of this test, as I realised that the background noise was caused by the wire from the microphone/ headset I was using to move around.

Doing the noise reduction didn’t help with this.

So re did it with the microphone a bit further away, then followed your instructions regarding the DC bias, then ran it through the checker program, and reduced volume accordingly.

Hope this is ok.
Thank you.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 7th, 2018, 10:02 am

RuthP wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 9:00 am
So re did it with the microphone a bit further away, then followed your instructions regarding the DC bias, then ran it through the checker program, and reduced volume accordingly.
the DC bias is gone and the volume is in the correct limits :thumbs: but it seems you didn't do any noise-cleaning at all ? :hmm: did you try out my step-by-step ?

Could you please do this once more to this current test ? Just so you get familiar with this function, as I suspect you will need it for further recordings ;)
I tried it out just now and it reduced the background noise very nicely. The sound is so much clearer when the background hum is gone.

One more time please, then all should be good. No re-recording just do this:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (I chose at the end between 0:26 and 0:27)

> go to Effect - Noise reduction
>> my settings here are:
>> Noise Reduction (dB): 12
>> Sensitivity: 6
>> Frequency smoothing (bands): 0

> now first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise reduction
> now select OK

Sonia

RuthP

Post by RuthP » December 7th, 2018, 11:46 am

HI,
Thank you for your patience with me :)

I have followed your instructions now properly, hope that all is OK

Thank you

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 7th, 2018, 11:51 am

thank you for not giving up ! And yes, now the sound is better.

If you can't find the source or change the background noise while recording, at least you always have this possibility of doing a round of noise cleaning. I use it myself for all my recordings. Your reading is nice to listen to, it would be a shame that the sound was marred a bit by the noise.

But you're ready to roll now, I'd say. You know the basic tools in Audacity which will be most helpful for good editing processes. Here's you well-deserved OK on the test.

I hope you already found an interesting project to start out in :D Maybe one day I'll hear you in one of the projects I'm prooflistener for.

Have a nice weekend !

Sonia

RuthP

Post by RuthP » December 7th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Thankyou!

Excited to start my first reading soon :)