1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
lhsmith512

Post by lhsmith512 » December 3rd, 2018, 9:45 pm

User:lhsmith512
Operating System: WIN10
DAW: Audacity
Mic: Rode NT-USB

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lhsmith512.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 6th, 2018, 4:51 am

hi Lawrence :)

welcome to LV and thank you for this very entertaining news flash. In fact only yesterday I read about this case in my local paper and could only shake my head. I saw a pic of the guy and he looks every bit his age ;) so even if he flashed me his new passport stating he was 48, I would not believe him :lol:

but to your test: excellent reading qualities, I love the voice, intonation, expressiveness and tempo :thumbs: you probably would love participating in our drama forum, you sound like you would love to act out a part. Maybe I hear you one day over there in a project I am prooflistening :9:

Technical settings all LV standard as well, so there is no holding you back. Maybe only one small word of caution: your volume is at 91.6 dB. We accept between 86 and 92, so you are just inside the limit, so try not to get any louder ;) A decibel or two less would be perfect.

Here is your official OK on the test and you are ready to claim sections in any project on offer here.

Have fun !

Sonia

lhsmith512

Post by lhsmith512 » December 6th, 2018, 6:04 am

Thanks Kitty for the compliments! As much as i'm excited to move forward there is also some nervousness about performing well. I certainly will consider some drama parts as well. I was thinking of starting with short stories but range variety and range are also a goal. Thanks for the critique on volume because I was concerned that I was not loud enough. I will notch it down a bit.

Thanks again,

LS

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 6th, 2018, 6:15 am

lhsmith512 wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 6:04 am
As much as i'm excited to move forward there is also some nervousness about performing well.
we've all been there in the beginning ;) the sound of one's own recorded voice is something one has to get used to, it's normal.

I would suggest, start with a short text, maybe a short poem (unless you are dead against poetry). The weekly poem is quite good for beginners, as they get feedback very fast and you see your first project uploaded in one week :mrgreen: other projects may take a lot longer to finish. This is the current poem for this week: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=72717

If you do a poem, here's a good advice: let the microphone run and read it once, and you'll probably notice that you are more nervous and tense in the beginning but by the end you "get in the groove". Then let the microphone run and start from the beginning and read it all once again. You'll see, the second version is usually better and more relaxed. Then simply cut out one recording and keep the one you like best.

Of course this is only a good trick for short sections. I would never do that for a chapter of one hour :lol: too time consuming. Anyway, once you do that a couple of times with a poem, you'll see, it gets easier and you are getting used to the sound of your voice.

Drama was helping me being more outgoing. I would never do it on stage, but I don't mind acting out in front of the microphone.

Have fun !

Sonia