1-minute test review listener request [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
nimnom

Post by nimnom » November 29th, 2018, 4:17 am

Hello all,

I just uploaded my 1-min test and I would be v grateful for feedback.

I recorded on a MacBook Pro, with a Blue Snowball USB mic.

Software was Audacity.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test-nimnom.mp3

thanks v much

Naomi

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 5th, 2018, 4:29 am

Hello Naomi, and a warm welcome to the forum :D

thank you for starting out with a test, always good to have the tech specs checked before launching into anything big ;) Your voice is really very soothing to listen to, I love the pace and tone of voice :9: Very nice and already I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

Basic technical settings are all up to LV standard. :thumbs:

Only one thing needs to get tweaked and that is the volume, which is quite below our accepted limits. Yours comes in at barely 83 dB, we accept between 86 and 92, with a preferred average of 89 dB.

No need to re-record though, Audacity has an easy to use amplification feature. Please do the following to your test:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 6 (in your case now) in the upper slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

That should bring you close to 89 dB. Could you please reupload the test once more and post in this same thread, so I can have a second look ? I'm sure you'll be all set then. :)

Thank you

Sonia

nimnom

Post by nimnom » December 6th, 2018, 2:22 am

Thanks so much Sonia. To get my recording level higher in the first place should I be increasing the input volume? That sounds obvious... but I did notice that the level looked a bit low and I think I have the volume as high as it can go, so a bit odd. I will do what you suggest and re-upload.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 6th, 2018, 2:33 am

nimnom wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 2:22 am
To get my recording level higher in the first place should I be increasing the input volume? That sounds obvious... but I did notice that the level looked a bit low and I think I have the volume as high as it can go, so a bit odd.
did you check in Audacity at the slider bar next to the microphone icon ? It should be all the way up to the + sign. Alternatively it could be that the settings in your computer for the microphone are not set to the highest input. I don't know where to see that on a Mac though, sorry. Somewhere in the software settings ? Maybe a loudspeaker icon where you can click on to check ?

If all else fails, just record at 83 dB, and use the amplify function in Audacity. It's very easy to use and I think most of us have to somehow tweak the volume. I myself amplify each of my recording by some dB before I get into the correct volume area. It will become routine soon and won't take much time.

Looking forward to your corrected file !

Sonia

nimnom

Post by nimnom » December 7th, 2018, 4:15 am

Thanks for your help. Here is the new file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test-nimnom_v2.mp3

all the best

Naomi

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 7th, 2018, 4:41 am

excellent, Naomi, now you're in the perfect middle :thumbs:

you get your OK on the test and you're ready to record now. I hope you already roamed the board a bit and found a project to start out in :)

Have fun !

Sonia

nimnom

Post by nimnom » December 7th, 2018, 7:09 am

Super excited! I will find something to volunteer for. Thanks so much Sonia.