New Reader Test Recording [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
OnlyHalfTheTime

Post by OnlyHalfTheTime » November 28th, 2018, 10:30 am

Hello. Below, please find my test recording. I am using Audacity on Windows with a USB Samson G-Track mic which can be viewed here:
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/usb-microphones/gtrack/

I recorded this a few weeks ago. I think I applied some very light noise removal to it, but not as much as typical. I also did not apply any de-esser or high-pass filters for percussives.

All criticism welcomed and appreciated.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_onlyhalfthetime.mp3

Thank you.

DS

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 4th, 2018, 7:11 am

Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum :)

good thing you're starting out with a test before launching in any big recording. Thing is, we need to tweak a few technical settings ;)

but first some praise: I love your deep warm voice :9: and your narrative qualities and reading pace are very agreeable to listen to and follow along. In that respect, nothing to change. :thumbs:

For the technical bits, here are some pointers. Good thing you're using Audacity, then I can give you easy step-by-step instructions:

1) your recording is in Stereo, but we need Mono.

> go to Tracks
> select Stereo track to Mono (your two "windows" will merge into one)

2) the background noise is still a bit high, I would recommend another round of noise-cleaning. You said you already used that function, so I guess you know how to do that.

3) your bitrate is wrong, we need 128 kbps constant. This is changed while exporting to mp3:

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps
> press Ok

that's it. Could you please correct these 3 steps and reupload in this same thread, then I get notified and can have another look. :) No need to re-record, just correct on your old test.

thank you

Sonia

OnlyHalfTheTime

Post by OnlyHalfTheTime » Yesterday, 7:26 pm

Sorry I'm so late in reply. I received no notification. I thought I would as I had started the thread, but I'll subscribe to it this time ;)

Here is the new recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/onlyhalfthetimelibrovoxtest20181210.mp3

I re-recorded in my new recording space (read: a tiny closet).

I believe I resolved the technical issues. Please let me know if there is anything else I can clean up.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » Today, 12:36 am

hi again

thanks for the second test. The sound is really good in your tiny closet :mrgreen: if it's not too uncomfortable, I suggest you make camp there for your future recordings.

The technical settings are all correct now :thumbs: so here is the official OK on your test ! You're ready to record for real. Have fun with your first section !

BTW I saw you wrote librovox (with an o in the middle) in your file name, just pointing out that it's librivox (with an i in the middle). ;) no matter for the test now, just may come in handy for future recordings

Enjoy

Sonia

OnlyHalfTheTime

Post by OnlyHalfTheTime » Today, 8:42 am

:oops: The keys are right next to each other! haha.