One Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
phantom647

Post by phantom647 » November 25th, 2018, 6:54 pm

From my understanding, I have to copy my one minute test in a new thread here and get some feedback before I proceed here at LibriVox. Attached is my one minute test. Let me know if it sounds right. I'm using Audacity on a Mac on an Analog mic.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/phantom647onemintest.mp3

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » November 25th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Hello Phantom,

Thank you for the test. It sounds quite nice! :thumbs:

You will need to fix a few things before it can be marked as OK, though.

First of all, it's too soft. Checker measures the volume at 78.7 dB, and our target value is 89 (anything between 87 and 91 dB is good). Please increase the gain in Audacity. If your gain ("recording volume") is at 1.0 already, you will need to amplify for the difference. Currently your track needs to be amplified about 10 dB.

Second, your recording is in stereo. We cannot use stereo, we need mono. Please make sure you record in a single channel mode and when exporting, check "Force export to mono".

Third, your MP3 bitrate is variable. We cannot use variable, we need constant. Please make sure to select "Constant" as the Bit Rate Mode when exporting.

That's all. Please address all these issues. Download and install Checker, and run your MP3 though it after exporting to see how you did.

Hope to hear your fixed test soon. :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

phantom647

Post by phantom647 » November 26th, 2018, 10:27 am

Ok, I've downloaded Checker and ran it through and it passed. Let me know if it is right this time! https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/phantom647onemintest2_.mp3

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » November 26th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Thank you Phantom,

Your test is now all good! :thumbs:

You are ready for LibriVox.

An admin will stop by this thread to mark it with an OK, eventually. You don't need to wait and can already go to our "Readers Wanted" forums and pick for yourself a group project to join. Read the first post in that thread carefully and follow the suggested steps.

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please