1 minute test senselessart

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
senselessart

Post by senselessart » November 25th, 2018, 3:36 am

Recorded on Garageband, exported in AIFF to Audacity and changed to mono then exported in AIFF back to Garageband then exported to MP3. I don't know how to do this any other way...yet.

It was raining when I recorded this test. I am afraid the rain is audible in the recording. I deliberately recorded without the full soundproofing as I do not always have it on and I would like to know if the quality is OK without it or not. Please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_senselessart.mp3

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 26th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Hi Rachel (?),
This sounds very nice. About 90% of our volunteers use Audacity for recording, so if you have a recording device you might want to try recording through there, that way you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of changing the type.

Just a few pointers:

I can hear the rain quite audibly. In Audacity, use Noise Reduction (Effect>Noise Reduction>Get Noise Profile) and highlight a section of silence where you can hear the rain. Then go back and highlight everything (or Ctrl+A on a PC), hit (Effect>Noise Reduction>Get Noise Profile) and type in the boxes, Noise Reduction=10, Sensitivity=3, and Frequency Smoothing=1.

The sound should actually be in mono, not stereo. You said you changed it, so I'm not sure what happened, but the file is set in stereo.

In the ID3 metadata, you don't need to put in the artist name (in this case, senselessart) as this will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage of whatever project you record for.

Great, great job, thank you for uploading! Just reupload with the corrections and I'd be happy to give it another go.

Best,
JayKitty

senselessart

Post by senselessart » December 1st, 2018, 9:51 am

Thanks, I will try again and use the sound booth if needed. I haven't used audacity and was hoping to stay with the familiar program but I will try it and see how I get on.

Will redo the test in a day or so.

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 1st, 2018, 11:14 am

Hi Senselessart,
If you can pull down the volume using Garageband, by all means do so! I don't want you to feel like I'm pressuring you to install an unfamiliar program :wink: