1 Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Smriti

Post by Smriti » November 18th, 2018, 2:45 am

Here is my one minute test recording (the first link is the raw, unprocessed recording where you can hear the annoying and loud space craft sounds from my laptop and the second one is the cleaned version of the same recording):

1. Raw, unprocessed:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_smriti.mp3
Recording software: Audacity 2.1.0
Operating System: Windows
Mic Type: Built in (Realtek High Definition)

2. Cleaned:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_smriti_cleaned.mp3

Noise Reduction: 23 Db
Sensitivity: 6.50
Frequency Smoothing: 6 Bands

Looking forward to getting feedback!
~Smriti
~S m r i t i

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 20th, 2018, 5:14 am

Hello Smriti :) thank you for your test. I just had a listen to the cleaned version, and on the whole, your voice sounds nice and you are reading quite clearly, so that part is ok.

However the volume is too loud for LV standards. We accept between 86 and 92 dB maximum, with a preferred average of 89 dB. Yours was over 93 dB, so we need to reduce the volume. This is easy in Audacity, do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -3 (don't forget the MINUS) in the upper box (amplification dB)
> press ok

Also your background noise is still too audible. As you already used the noise-cleaning function, you know how to do that. However your numbers may be too aggressive, it's sometimes better to run 2 times the noise-cleaning with smaller numbers than once with higher numbers. The sound may get distorted.

I always use:

Noise Reduction: 12
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency Smoothing: 0

and often let it run twice to get rid of the noise. You need to play around a bit with the numbers to find the ones that are best for you.

And the best thing is to track down the source of the noise, because it's always better to have a cleaner recording from the start. Maybe a fan, A/C or fridge running ? You might want to turn these electrical appliances off while you record. Or record in a quieter room ;)

Could you please do these two adjustments to your test and reupload in this same thread, so I can have another listen ?

Thanks

Sonia

Smriti

Post by Smriti » May 14th, 2019, 7:26 am

Kitty wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 5:14 am
Hello Smriti :) thank you for your test. I just had a listen to the cleaned version, and on the whole, your voice sounds nice and you are reading quite clearly, so that part is ok.

However the volume is too loud for LV standards. We accept between 86 and 92 dB maximum, with a preferred average of 89 dB. Yours was over 93 dB, so we need to reduce the volume. This is easy in Audacity, do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -3 (don't forget the MINUS) in the upper box (amplification dB)
> press ok

Also your background noise is still too audible. As you already used the noise-cleaning function, you know how to do that. However your numbers may be too aggressive, it's sometimes better to run 2 times the noise-cleaning with smaller numbers than once with higher numbers. The sound may get distorted.

I always use:

Noise Reduction: 12
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency Smoothing: 0

and often let it run twice to get rid of the noise. You need to play around a bit with the numbers to find the ones that are best for you.

And the best thing is to track down the source of the noise, because it's always better to have a cleaner recording from the start. Maybe a fan, A/C or fridge running ? You might want to turn these electrical appliances off while you record. Or record in a quieter room ;)

Could you please do these two adjustments to your test and reupload in this same thread, so I can have another listen ?

Thanks

Sonia
Sonia,

Thanks so much for your feedback ( & I apologize for my terribly late reply, things happened in between and I never got back here.) I am going to use your feedback and work on improving my test!

~Smriti
~S m r i t i

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » May 14th, 2019, 11:01 pm

:shock: woah, this thread is old. Yes, life can happen, don't worry about the delay. I'm happy that you're back and want to try again. The test fixing should be fairly easy, but if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

good luck

Sonia