Woops, error on 1 minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
DaveWindell

Post by DaveWindell » October 11th, 2018, 8:14 am

DaveWindell

Post by DaveWindell » October 11th, 2018, 8:24 am

I'm an idiot and didn't include the set up information on the 1 minute test. So it's at: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_davewindell.mp3
Set up: Marantz USB microphone. Audacity 2.2 software
Thanks,
DaveWindell

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 12th, 2018, 1:13 am

hi again, Dave :)

I had a listen to your test and thank you for including the intro to Guy Mannering, but it wasn't necessary to top up to exactly one minute ;)

your reading is fine, clearly understandable and nicely emphasized on the right places. :thumbs:

The only two things which need tweaking are the following:

1) your volume is too loud. We accept between 86 and 92 dB and yours is exceeding 93 dB. So please do the following to your file in Audacity:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -3 (don't forget the MINUS) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

I believe I already gave you the link to ReplayGain in the other thread, so this is handy to use to assess the correct volume.

2) your bitrate is variable, but we need 128 kbps constant. This is changed when you export to mp3.

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps
> press Ok

that's it. Could you do those two changes please and reupload in the same thread so I can have another look ?

Thanks

Sonia

DaveWindell

Post by DaveWindell » October 12th, 2018, 5:16 am

Dear Sonia, Thanks very much for all the advice. I have uploaded a new test at https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_davewindell.mp3 I have altered the set up to see if I could use my oxygen canula while recording without creating background noise etc. Your feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, DaveWindell

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 12th, 2018, 5:34 am

ah great, you are quick. You probably want to be ready for recording on the weekend :mrgreen:

Well good news for you then: the test is OK. :thumbs: You're ready to record "for real".

The volume is good now, I don't hear too much background noise, but the Checker program flags it as a bit high, so maybe in the official recordings you could use one round of noise-cleaning. But for this test it's totally fine.

I will not detain you much longer. Have a look around and claim your first official section in a project to your liking.

Have fun !

Sonia

DaveWindell

Post by DaveWindell » October 12th, 2018, 9:43 am

Dear Sonia, Whoopee! Thanks a lot! Without your help I would have got there!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 12th, 2018, 9:47 am

DaveWindell wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 9:43 am
Dear Sonia, Whoopee! Thanks a lot! Without your help I would have got there!
I'm sure you would, but this way was maybe faster ;)

well then, I hope you find something you're interested in to start out with. I would recommend short sections first, before you do a one-hour-chapter. Totally up to you though, but from experience we know that as newbie you don't realize how much work is involved to get to a finished recording.

For comparison, my editing process usually takes 3 or 4 times as long as the length of the finished section. So I prefer short ones ;)

Good luck with your first claim !

Sonia

DaveWindell

Post by DaveWindell » October 13th, 2018, 6:14 am

Dear Sonia, Thanks for the advice, that's just like my writing... about 4 rewrites followed by endless proofs...the rewrites and proofs take far longer, like 5 or 6 times, than the original writing! So I will definitely try a short piece before being too ambitious. Thanks! DaveWindell