[OK]FifiFalconette 1 Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
FifiFalconette

Post by FifiFalconette » October 7th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Hey all
This is my first one-minute test, recorded in WavePad on a Macintosh laptop with a Rhode Podcaster USB mic. I think I got most of the settings right, but I know my volume is uneven. The file is raw - I haven't messed around with any amplify or normalise options. Let me know what I can do to get things right from here!
Thanks
Fifi

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_fififalconette.mp3

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » October 8th, 2018, 12:41 am

Welcome at LibriVox, FiFiFalconette :D
FifiFalconette wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 5:36 pm
I think I got most of the settings right
You certainly think right :thumbs:
FifiFalconette wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 5:36 pm
Let me know what I can do to get things right from here!
Actually it's really not much what you need to do. According to checker Volume is at 85.6 dB; we aim at 89 dB but within a range of 86 dB to 92 dB. As amplifying to the desired 89 dB would lead to clipping (in the first part, where you scream so nicely), you just amplify as far as you can without making the file clip.

If you want to reach the 89 dB, you need to de-amplify the first part, or you use compressor. If you back up on screams, you might be lucky and get the volume kind of even.

The Røde really is a fine microphone, no noise reduction necessary at all :)

I think mp3gain is available for Mac, too, so you can check the volume of your recordings. Or you check out that little Java script, Checker, so you can test all tech specs.

Please one more upload, only edited to get the volume right, posted in this thread :)

FifiFalconette

Post by FifiFalconette » October 11th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Fabulous, thank you!

I'm a bit puzzled by WavePad's options. I tried using 'Normalise' at 89DB and got a nastily loud file with lots of background hiss. So I undid that and Amplified the softer section to be similar to the first part, then finally Amplified it all together until it was close to clipping but not quite there.

Here's the edited file: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_fififalconette(2).mp3

Let me know how it goes!

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » October 15th, 2018, 5:21 am

Hi FifiFalconette,

sorry for the delayed answer (maybe riding the train infects on this? :oops:), but now I am back and your test is all really fine :thumbs:

Now have fun with your
FifiFalconette wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 3:19 pm
So I undid that and Amplified the softer section to be similar to the first part, then finally Amplified it all together until it was close to clipping but not quite there.
That way around it works, of course, too :thumbs:

Now have fun and success with your award :)