1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
racasca

Post by racasca » October 5th, 2018, 6:42 am

Hi! I'm Selene and this is my one minute test. Because I want to read both Spanish and English texts, I recorded sample tests for both languages from the wiki. The audio is raw. Please let me know what you think! :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_racasca.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 6th, 2018, 8:09 am

hello Selene and welcome to the forum :)

thank you for your test, really cool that you can speak both languages so well, so you will have no trouble finding enough projects to work on :wink: Your reading is very nice, fluent and easy to understand. Wonderful basis for audiobook narration already.

The basic technical settings are also up to LV standard, perfect.

We only need to work a bit on the volume and background noise. You didn't mention what program you are using, if it is Audacity, I can walk you through the process of amplification and noise cleaning, but other programs I'm not familiar with. Let me know if you need further help.

> the volume should be between 86 and 92 dB, yours is a bit low with 82.8 dB. What you need to do it is amplify the whole thing by 6 dB and then you'll be in the perfect average.

> the background noise is quite pronounced, so if your editing program has some kind of noise-cleaning function, I would try running that once. Also, a good thing is to track down the source of the noise and try to cut it down in the recording session already. Maybe a fan or refrigerator or traffic outside ? Basically, try to record in the quietest room possible ;)

Could you make these two changes to your recording please and reupload in this same thread ? Then I can have another look.

Thank you

Sonia

racasca

Post by racasca » October 6th, 2018, 9:37 am

Thank you Sonia! I am using Audacity, which I'm somewhat familiar with (though only for the very basic). I tried to use 'noise reduction' with the default settings for the effect, and increased the dB of the overall recording like you suggested. The noise comes from my laptop fan, which I don't think I can turn off :oops: otherwise, I recorded it at night (when not many cars go by), with the desktop fan off.

Here's the recording! https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_racascaredo.mp3

Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get the settings right soon... there are already some projects I want to contribute to! :D

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 6th, 2018, 10:08 am

racasca wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 9:37 am
I am using Audacity, which I'm somewhat familiar with (though only for the very basic). I tried to use 'noise reduction' with the default settings for the effect, and increased the dB of the overall recording like you suggested.
ah for Audacity I could have given you the step-by-steps for noise-cleaning:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

but I see you managed quite well on your own :thumbs:
The noise comes from my laptop fan, which I don't think I can turn off :oops: otherwise, I recorded it at night (when not many cars go by), with the desktop fan off.
if you have a laptop, a good suggestion is to record while it is unplugged. When it runs on internal battery, then the fan noise is much less usually. Try it out. I always record unplugged and after a few hours I need to plug it in again and then I can edit at ease all the things I have recorded.
Here's the recording! https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_racascaredo.mp3
Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get the settings right soon... there are already some projects I want to contribute to! :D
well let me not hold you up then. Here is your OK, your settings are all good to go now. :D

Have fun with your first recording !!!

Sonia

racasca

Post by racasca » October 6th, 2018, 11:23 am

:clap: :clap:

I'm super excited! Thanks again for your tips and feedback!