1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
justjessie26

Post by justjessie26 » October 4th, 2018, 10:57 pm

justjessie26

Post by justjessie26 » October 5th, 2018, 9:40 am

I recorded this through LibriVox on a Mac.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 6th, 2018, 9:05 am

Hello Jessie and a warm welcome to our forum.

I don't really know what you mean by "recorded this through librivox" but thank you for your test. It's good to start out with the test to check the technical settings before launching into a lengthy chapter.

First the good news...your voice and reading is absolutely agreeable to listen to and understand. This is already the main basis for a good audiobook. :thumbs: The rest is only a matter of tweaking the editing program to the correct settings.

Which we will have to do now, because there are a few basic settings that are wrong and which you need to change. I don't know which program you are using, so I cannot give you step-by steps, unless you are using Audacity. I will give you those instructions below, but if you use another program, it may work differently. Let me know if you need help with anything.

1) your test is in Stereo but we need Mono. To change a file to mono, do the following:

> go to Tracks
> select Stereo track to Mono (your two "windows" will merge into one)

To change the setting for future recordings, go to Edit > Preferences > Devices. Under Recording, change Channels to "1 (Mono)".

2) your volume is much too loud. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, with a preferred average of 89 dB. Yours is over 96 dB. :shock: I would suggest decreasing with -6 to get close to the average:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -6 (don't forget the MINUS sign !) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

maybe you can try to set your input volume on the microphone to lower gain from the start. The problem with being too loud is that clipping can occur, and it fact you have a lot of clipping in your recording. That's when the peaks on the audiowaves get cut off and if that happens too much then there is the risk of distorting the voice. It should be avoided if possible, so recording with a lower volume is best.

3) the background noise could also be reduced a bit:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

4) and finally, your bitrate is variable, but we need 128 kbps constant. This is changed in the exporting to mp3 phase:

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps
> press Ok

Don't be dishreatened if this looks like a lot but many settings are saved in Audacity (and probably also in other programs) when you set them correctly now. So you won't have to worry about bitrate and stereo anymore in future. :)

Could you please make all those changes to your test ? Then post the reuploaded test link in this same thread so I get notified and can have another listen.
If there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask

Sonia

justjessie26

Post by justjessie26 » October 8th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Thanks for all of your help and feedback. I meant to say that I recorded it in Audacity not Librivox so your instructions were perfect. I now have Checker and went through all of your recommendations so I will attach the new file here. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_justjessie26.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 8th, 2018, 11:50 pm

wonderful, Jessie, you corrected everything perfectly. So now the basic settings are correct, no need to change those anymore. I predict you will have to tweak the volume each time and probably also noise-clean, but most of us have to do that. Since you have Checker now, you can assess the validation of your file before you upload to LV. :thumbs:

This test is now officially OK. And I see you already started with the Eagle scout project. So you're part of that endeavour. :D

Enjoy and hopefully you get a taste for recording and will do lots more :)

Sonia

justjessie26

Post by justjessie26 » October 14th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Thank you Sonia!