one minute test jngraber

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
jngraber

Post by jngraber » October 4th, 2018, 11:26 am

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 5th, 2018, 1:26 am

Hi JN and a warm welcome to the forum :) thank you for starting out with a test, always good to get the technical issues solved right from the start.

your narrative qualities and reading voice are already nice to listen to and easy to understand, so the basis for a good audiobook is already there. :thumbs:

Now to the technical settings, there we need to do some tweaking still. Unfortunately you didn't tell me what editing program you are using. I could give you step-by-steps for Audacity, but I hope you know your way around whatever program you use.

Here's what you need to change:

1) the background noise is a bit pronounced, but that may also be because your volume is very high. Our acceptable range is from 86 to 92 dB, and yours is exactly 92 dB, so it would be accepted, but some 2 or 3 decibel less would bring it to the optimal average of around 89 dB. In any case, don't go any louder ;) Could you either decrease the overall volume a bit, or do a round of noise-cleaning, to make the recording a bit more "clean-sounding" ?

2) the bitrate is wrong, we need 128 kbps constant. Usually you can set the bitrate while exporting to mp3, at least in Audacity that's where it's set.

Let me know what program you have if you don't manage on your own. Once you have the test corrected, please post the new link here in this same thread so I can have another listen. :)

Thanks

Sonia

lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover » October 5th, 2018, 4:50 am

Excuse me butting in ! I think that background noise sounds like some noise either in or out of the room. Can you hear it when not recording? Sounds a bit like a machine of some sort or even a computer fan.

jngraber

Post by jngraber » October 10th, 2018, 8:10 am

Thanks for your feedback. I'm using audacity. I know how to change my bit rate. Is there a way to change my volume for the whole thing? Thanks for your help.

Jill

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 10th, 2018, 9:28 am

yes sure, here is a step-by-step for Audacity:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -3 (don't forget the MINUS) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

and that's it. There is a handy plug-in for Audacity which tells you the exact amount of dB you need to decrease or amplify to get to 89 dB.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
Sonia