One Minute (Or Less!) Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ginique

Post by ginique » October 2nd, 2018, 10:25 am

Hello, all!

Happy to be here. :) If you have a moment, please feel free to check out my test audio and let me know what you think. Good, bad or indifferent - I'm open to it all! This was recorded on a USB mic via Audacity on Windows 10.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ginique.mp3

Thanks in advance!

Ginne

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 4th, 2018, 2:17 am

Hello Ginne and a warm welcome to our forum. Thank you for your test, I listened to it and your reading is very nice to listen to and easy to understand. Excellent basis for audiobook narration. :thumbs:

The technical settings are also all up to LV standard, so nothing to change there.

However, your background noise is highly pronounced, which does distract a bit from the great reading. Luckily in Audacity we can clean that up easily. Try the following on this recording:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

you could even do this twice to get an even clearer sound, but once should do the trick already.

It would be good if you could track down the source of the noise, maybe a running fan or refrigerator ? :hmm: I don't think it's traffic, but closing the windows might help too.

Could you please reupload a cleaned version in this same thread so I get notified and can listen to it once more ? I'm sure then it will pass all the tests :)

see you around

Sonia

ginique

Post by ginique » October 5th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Hi, Sonia!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'll need to figure out the source of the background noise. Thank goodness for Audacity, indeed! I'll follow your steps and reupload the audio soon (battling a cold at the moment...perfect timing :( ).

ginique

Post by ginique » October 6th, 2018, 3:09 am

Okay, here's the cleaned-up version! Hopefully I've nixed the background noise, but if I need to further edit, please let me know. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ginique.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 6th, 2018, 3:57 am

no further edits required, here's your OK on the test :clap:

and now, off you go, participating in your first official project :D have fun !!!!

Sonia

ginique

Post by ginique » October 8th, 2018, 6:32 am

Thanks, Sonia!! I am very much ready to get started. :mrgreen: Also, thank you for the tip on getting rid of background noise in Audacity. That feature is going to come in very, very handy for me.

Away I go!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 8th, 2018, 6:35 am

ginique wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 6:32 am
Also, thank you for the tip on getting rid of background noise in Audacity. That feature is going to come in very, very handy for me.
yes indeed, I also use it for all my recordings, even though it is very quiet at my place, but one round of cleaning makes the sound even more agreeable.

Have fun !

Sonia