1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ProfessorReads

Post by ProfessorReads » September 23rd, 2018, 1:57 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_professorreads.mp3

Looking forward to your recommendations. Thanks for listening.

Recording Software: Twisted Wave
Operating System: Mac
Mic: Audio Technica 2020, USB connection

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 25th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Welcome at LibriVox, Michael :)

Yet another wonderful reader :thumbs:

Most tech specs are fine. Two remarks:
  • Recording is in stereo, we need mono
  • There is, astonishingly, some background noise. I'd expect the Audio Technica to produce less noise (its the kind of noise produced by equipment). I can understand you very well, so if you can't deal with it it is not that bad, but if you could get rid of it it would make a nicer listening experience.

Sorry that I can't help you with your program; I have neither a Mac nor Twisted Wave.

Volume is inside the range (89 dB +- 3 dB) but on the higher edge - don't get any louder. Your voice probably sounds a bit better when you back up just a little bit, it is very live and seems very close to the mic.

Can you please edit the file for the mono (no new recording required, only editing is fine), upload it and post the link here in the thread again? Thank you.

ProfessorReads

Post by ProfessorReads » October 2nd, 2018, 2:28 pm

Thanks. I just submitted my first test... well, second test. I submitted one that hadn't been converted to mono. :? I will get the hang of this!

Best wishes,

ProfessorReads

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » October 6th, 2018, 11:14 am

Hi Michael,

sorry for the delay; I was kind of busy traveling with my dad last week (you won't believe how busy older people can keep one with touring around ;) ) and didn't notice that you had opened another thread for this.
ProfessorReads wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 2:28 pm
I will get the hang of this!
You sure will :)

This test works like a charm, I can give PL ok, go over and record something nice interesting :thumbs:

ProfessorReads

Post by ProfessorReads » October 14th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Thanks, Moniaqua. I appreciate your response. Whew!

And I can indeed understand how busy older people can keep you. My mother's been keeping me busy all last week!

Best wishes! :)

ProfessorReads

Post by ProfessorReads » October 14th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Thank you for the specifics on my first recording. As you see, I did re-send a mono file.

I'm interested in your comment on the background noise. I noticed it too. I'm surprised that it came from the Audio Technica, but perhaps it is old, and/or I haven't taken good care of it. I had another Audia Technica at work and it too developed background noise, and I think it was from not being taken care of. The Audia Technica is a wonderful mic, I think, and was highly recommended to me. Perhaps it is time to invest in a new one. :)

Thanks too on the feedback for loudness.

I'm off to find a project to record!

Thanks!

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » October 15th, 2018, 5:32 am

ProfessorReads wrote:
October 14th, 2018, 5:55 pm
I'm surprised that it came from the Audio Technica, but perhaps it is old, and/or I haven't taken good care of it. I had another Audia Technica at work and it too developed background noise, and I think it was from not being taken care of. The Audia Technica is a wonderful mic, I think, and was highly recommended to me. Perhaps it is time to invest in a new one. :)
It doesn't necessarily come from the mic. I have a nice Rode and it works great with the one interface I have. I bought another, smaller interface and with this one I have noise. Not too bad, but noticeable. But it is really nice for traveling because it is really, really lightweight and not much cable to carry around :)
ProfessorReads wrote:
October 14th, 2018, 5:55 pm
As you see, I did re-send a mono file.
You must have, as the test ist marked ok, although I can't really see it because there is no new link :) Usually, also on real recordings, we provide a new post in the thread with the "new" link, even if the name is the same, just to make clear that the recording is altered. But as I don't have any test of you left in my folder and marked the test ok, I must have found it somehow, so now really, have fun! :thumbs: