[OK]1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Lvan

Post by Lvan » September 21st, 2018, 9:01 am

Hi, here's my 1 minute test. Looking forward to your feedback!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lvan.mp3

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 22nd, 2018, 1:49 am

Welcome at LibriVox, Liz :)

Checker's fine, I am fine, only don't get any louder :). The file is PL ok, have fun recording some "real stuff". ;)

You might get some noticeable plosives and difficulties to amplify into the right range, because you read very lively, at more interesting recordings than Peter Piper. For the plosives you can position your mic in an angle, so that you don't talk directly into the center of the mic but just to the left or right side of it. A pop filter also helps a lot. For the dynamics a compressor might help or you just de-amplify the too-high-in-volume spikes when they occur. Or you need to do both sometimes :) (guess, why I know? ;) ).

Lvan

Post by Lvan » September 22nd, 2018, 9:00 am

Thanks, Monika! I really appreciate the feedback. I have been struggling a bit with making the vol high enough without making plosives worse. I do use a pop filter and try to aim my mouth at an angle to the mic. Now I think I can back off a bit from my Samson mic and not strain to produce so much volume. Also, I'm planning to experiment with a condenser mic and that may improve everything.

Thanks again!

Liz

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 22nd, 2018, 9:11 am

Lvan wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 9:00 am
Now I think I can back off a bit from my Samson mic and not strain to produce so much volume. Also, I'm planning to experiment with a condenser mic and that may improve everything.
Oh, the Samson is fine. I don't want to hold you off from getting a condenser mic if you desire, but it probably isn't of any help regarding plosives as condensers tend to record very accurately and fine (actually, with condenser plosives and such got worse in my case...). Btw, I don't think you have bad plosives on this recording, I just think you might in future recordings have some difficulties (I also read in an like stile and plosive and dynamics are things I am constantly working on).

I am sure you will be able to deal with it, it is just a matter of practice :)

Lvan

Post by Lvan » September 22nd, 2018, 2:31 pm

Thanks, Monika!
I have a question that's off this topic - tell me if I should ask someplace else - but I am not sure how to find a short piece to start with. Is it best to just take the time to become more familiar with all of the options on Gutenberg? Or better to choose from the topics listed in the forum?
Liz

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » September 22nd, 2018, 2:41 pm

Chose from the readers wanted topics :D

Anne

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 22nd, 2018, 2:46 pm

Lvan wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 2:31 pm
I have a question that's off this topic - tell me if I should ask someplace else
Oh, it's fine here, I guess we'll all survive ;)

As annise says, take whatever you like from the readers wanted section :) Something short for the beginning is a good idea. That's why I think it was tovarisch suggested you the weekly and fortnightly poems. I am not so much in the horror-section (that's to say, I have no clue of that topic) but if you know a text that you like and that is in the public domain, why not take this? The only real requirement is that your text is in public domain in US and, in case you don't live in US, you have to obey the copyright-laws of your country.

Lvan

Post by Lvan » September 23rd, 2018, 6:57 am

Thanks, Monika and Anne! I really appreciate how quickly you all respond - not used to that :)