Please listen! [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
paigealihar

Post by paigealihar » September 20th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Here's my first 1 minute test! Would greatly appreciate any advice!
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_paigealihar.mp3
I use Audacity and a Cyber Acoustics USB mic
Thank you!

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 22nd, 2018, 1:00 am

Welcome at LibriVox :)

The tech specs (bitrate etc) are all fine. :)

The only thing we need to work on is the noise. It can be lessened with the noise reduction tool (I did two brushes with noise reduction 11 dB, sensitivity 6 and frequency smoothing 2 without disturbing your voice) but it would be way better to avoid the noise already on recording.

As it sounds like the microphone directly sitting on the fan of your PC or something like this, I'd suggest for future recordings to put the mic as far away as possible from the source of that noise. It might help to put some dampening device (pillow, thick cloth, ...) between the mic and the source of noise.

Please edit the file, or, if you like, record a new one (can also be a short poem or text for submitting it later to one of the collections, if Peter Piper bores you ;) ) and post the new file here in the thread again, thank you :)

paigealihar

Post by paigealihar » September 24th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Sorry I took a while to reply, I had a busy weekend!
Thank you for all the tips. My PC is on my desk, and there is no way to move it, but I have been searching for ways to move my microphone as far away as possible. In the meantime, here is a new recording edited with your suggestions:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/paigealihar.mp3
Thanks again!

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 24th, 2018, 10:35 pm

paigealihar wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Sorry I took a while to reply, I had a busy weekend!
That's ok, we're all volunteers, absolutely no need to hurry ;)
Yes, that one is better :thumbs: There is still some hissing left, but it cleans out nicely with the noise removal tool of Audacity and checker is happy anyway (even without the cleaning), also I feel it is not too bad, so I can safely mark your file PL ok Watch your "s" a bit; it is not too bad but might get worse on a more interesting recording. But you still read pleasantly, don't worry :)
Go to the Readers Wanted section and find something nice to read :)

paigealihar

Post by paigealihar » September 24th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help. I’m looking forward to recording!