1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
TheBookBro

Post by TheBookBro » September 20th, 2018, 2:48 pm

Hello guys!

This is my first one minute test. I would appreciate some feedback and pointers on if it sounds alright.

Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_TheBookBro.mp3

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 22nd, 2018, 12:45 am

Welcome at LibriVox, BookBro :)

Well read, very clear and understandable :clap:

There are only a couple of technical things that need to be fixed:
  • The recording is in stereo, we need mono.
    You can enforce it with setting the checkmark while exporting to mp3 if you use Audacity:
    http://cisdem.de/librivox/AudaCity_2_2_pics/export.png
  • The recording is exported with variable bitrate. We need a 128 kbit/s constant bitrate
    You can set that in the same window as above.
The volume is just on the edge of the range of 89+-3 dB (aka 86 to 92 dB), that's fine, only don't go any lower in volume :)

The recording sounds as if you had applied some heavy noise reduction (that "tinny" sound). Checker complains about noise, yes, but it doesn't disturb when listening to it. So don't do any more (if you reduced noise), maybe even a little bit less.

Please edit the file according to the topics of the list, upload it and post it here in the thread again, thank you :)

TheBookBro

Post by TheBookBro » September 24th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Hey! Thanks for the feedback. I made the changes that you suggested (along with bumping the recording volume up to 90Db) and the resulting recording sample is attached.

Let me know if there's anything else that needs to be changed/improved.

Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_TheBookBroRevised.mp3

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 24th, 2018, 10:52 pm

It is mono now, has the right bitrate and your wonderful voice comes out better (is it a new recording?) :thumbs:
TheBookBro wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 1:35 pm
(along with bumping the recording volume up to 90Db)
Now this is strange. Checker gives me 86.5 dB for the old recording and 80.3 for the new one and that's what I see in Audacity, too. So Volume is actually _lower_ than before.

You can check the volume
- if you use Audacity with ReplayGain
- with Checker, a little Java-Script (see sig)
- with mp3Gain

Note that those tools calculate the volume differently than the RMS which seems to be used elsewhere, but also RMS would be a bit low. Normalizing (if you use a different program) to -3 dB can do the trick, but not necessarely, so you need to measure at one point.

TheBookBro

Post by TheBookBro » September 27th, 2018, 2:24 pm

OK, I think I've got it figured out finally. I used the ReplayGain plugin and set it to normalize (which i believe should bring it to 89Db) so it should be correct now.

Here is the link for the newest revision https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_TheBookBroRevised2.mp3

Thanks for your help/patience. I'm very new to all of this stuff :D

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 28th, 2018, 12:59 am

TheBookBro wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 2:24 pm
OK, I think I've got it figured out finally.
You did, yes :thumbs: The file is PL ok now :)
TheBookBro wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 2:24 pm
I used the ReplayGain plugin and set it to normalize (which i believe should bring it to 89Db) so it should be correct now.
I prefer to use only the analyze function of ReplayGain and then go to Effects - Amplify putting in the number ReplayGain has given me, as ReplayGain doesn't care about clipping (cutting of peaks that are higher than the others if volume gets too loud there) and I sometimes have such peaks. In Amplify I can uncheck "allow clipping" so that it only amplifies to the highest peak. Sometimes I have to de-amplify (with a negative number) some peaks before I can amplify, or I use compressor.

But your recording is fine, no clipping, so for you might normalize work :) Only keep in mind that there is a different way if you ever encounter clipping ;)

Have fun recording nice poems or books or what you like and is in PD now :)

TheBookBro

Post by TheBookBro » September 28th, 2018, 11:59 am

Awesome! Thanks for all your help and for the tips!