Newbie Needs Test Feedback [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
MLC13

Post by MLC13 » September 15th, 2018, 3:42 am

Hello--
Opinions, critiques, and kindly advice would be most welcome.
And thanks.
MLC13

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/testing_testing_mlc13.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 12:48 pm

hi there and welcome to the forum :)

I had a listen to your test and your voice sounds very nice :9: all your technical settings are correct too :thumbs: so I can see you did your homework.

There is only one thing that needs a bit of correction and that's the background noise which is quite loud. I don't know what program you are using, but in case it's Audacity, here is the step-by-step on how to do it:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file, unfortunately you didn't leave much space there. You could try if you could get a sample there after all)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

And that's it. Could you please reupload the test once more in this thread then I can have another look at it.

Thank you

Sonia

MLC13

Post by MLC13 » September 15th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Sonia, Thanks so much. I'll check out noise reduction and post my sample again.

MLC13

Post by MLC13 » September 16th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 16th, 2018, 11:20 pm

yes thank you, the noise is much better now. Please always think in your future recordings to leave 5 seconds of silence at the end. It's standard here for every recording. Not needed for the test though.

I did notice something strange, it looks like some of the initial parts of your words are cut out. If you'd like to have a relisten, you notice it right at the beginning, I hear only "eople", at 0:12, I hear only "iper" instead of "the piper", at 0:18, "'s is a test" instead of "this is" and at 0:24, "had it been" it jumps a bit too there. I suppose you were reading the whole thing, so it must be your microphone, cutting off the words. :?

I will ask one of my friends, who is more tech savvy than me to have a listen and maybe give advice on how to solve the problem.

Meanwhile, I think I can give you the OK already, but check back in this thread, for when I have an answer :)

Now if you want to start recording for a project on here, you need to listen closely to what you are recording. If you notice that the mic cuts off words, these sentences will have to be re-recording, otherwise it sounds a bit incomplete.

Maybe it was a temporary glitch in the mic or a loose cable. Try plugging it in once more. In any case, I let you know as soon as I know more.

Alternatively, if the problem persists, you can also post this test and my comments about the cutting off in the help forum. Someone may know what this issue is and how to solve it.

Stay tuned !

Sonia

MLC13

Post by MLC13 » September 16th, 2018, 11:44 pm

Hi,
As you say, it could be my mic but it might be me—my voice has a large range, and I've been known to start sentences on too low a note. I'm going to redo the test for my own knowledge & enlightenment. (Unless, of course, you'd like to hear it too.)
In any case, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
-Marylou

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 16th, 2018, 11:50 pm

MLC13 wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 11:44 pm
Hi,
As you say, it could be my mic but it might be me—my voice has a large range, and I've been known to start sentences on too low a note. I'm going to redo the test for my own knowledge & enlightenment. (Unless, of course, you'd like to hear it too.)
In any case, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
-Marylou
ok if you think it's you :lol: yes maybe if you start to low the mic doesn't pick it up, but it's still strange. I hear some low words inside the sentences, but it's so noticeable at the beginning, after you make a pause.

Yes please, if you do another test, repost it hear. I like to hear it.

Also, if you follow along with the audacity waves you could maybe notice if the mic is not picking up sounds, you will see a much smaller waves then. Maybe try speaking words double, for example.

"People were, people were pleased to find" ... "the piper, the piper anticipated" - that way you can later cut out the faulty test and the phrase will be complete.

But this is not a solution for long texts LOL I just want to show that there are possibilities to maybe trick the microphone ;)

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 17th, 2018, 11:24 am

ok my friend gave me this suggestion concerning the cutting off issue. I'll copy/paste his answer here:
My first guess is that she may be using something with AGC (Automatic Gain Control) or a poorly controlled gate.
There are some types of automatic gain control that are sound activated therefore they do not work or record any sound unless sound is present those particular types of automatic gain control tend to come on only at specific times like when the sound reaches a specific level. If they are slow to react it will cut off the beginnings of words. Notice that none of the ends of words are cut off. This may be a clue
can you find out if this AGC is turned on in your mic ? Then a good idea would be to turn it off ;) Also he was curious what mic you are using, maybe then he can assess the problem better.

Sonia

MLC13

Post by MLC13 » September 21st, 2018, 2:17 pm

Hi Sonia-- I think it's all good this time. Let me know what you think.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/MLC13_Test_3rd.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 21st, 2018, 2:37 pm

oh, great, now I can hear all the initial letters :thumbs: so, what did you do to solve the problem if I may ask ?

Anyway, I gave you the OK to your test already, but let me just make two notes on this one. The volume is a bit low here, barely 85 dB, and we accept between 86 and 92 dB, preferably as close to 89 as possible. In Audacity, amplification is very easy:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 4 in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

Also the background noise could be reduced a little bit again, like I told you in my first post.

So if you want to try out those two settings, you can reupload a correction of this test. But since you now know the basics, I will not delete my initial OK for the test. You're ready to roll especially so because you figured out the missing initial sound problem.

Have fun with your first recordings. And remember to amplify and noise-clean if necessary ;)

Sonia

MLC13

Post by MLC13 » September 21st, 2018, 2:56 pm

About the missing sounds of the initial letters, the solution to Automatic Gain Control (AGC) is actually in Audacity.
Go to Preferences-->Recording and then under "Sound Activated Recording" make sure that "Enabled" is NOT checked.

Thanks for your instructions on how to amplify and noise-clean. And thanks for all your help.
--Marylou

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 22nd, 2018, 12:47 am

MLC13 wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:56 pm
About the missing sounds of the initial letters, the solution to Automatic Gain Control (AGC) is actually in Audacity.
Go to Preferences-->Recording and then under "Sound Activated Recording" make sure that "Enabled" is NOT checked.
Thanks for your instructions on how to amplify and noise-clean. And thanks for all your help.
--Marylou
and thank you for teaching me something new as well :9: I never had this box checked in Audacity so I didn't even know about that function. Now I will be able to maybe help other newbies if this problem shows up again.

I'm happy for you that it's solved now. Good luck with your recordings !

Sonia

LingheartArdsonrich

Post by LingheartArdsonrich » October 9th, 2018, 7:06 am

Hello,

EDITED by admin

The one minute test is designed to check that newbies have their technical settings correct before they record a live recording which can not be used and is not in any way an audition , you are providing more information than is needed and using software which is not free whose results do not match those of the recommended software.

Anne 😊

MLC13

Post by MLC13 » October 9th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Thank you so very much. Kitty ok'd me, so I've read a short chapter, though I'm not really all that confident. However, I suppose confidence comes the more one reads.

I've already learned a lot just from your message. I've been experimenting with removing an intentional cough, just to learn, and seem to make the corrections either too soon or too late. Any advice?
Thanks again.
--Marylou

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » October 9th, 2018, 1:35 pm

MLC13 wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 1:08 pm
Kitty ok'd me
I just listened into one of your recordings and feel that she had good reason for the ok.
MLC13 wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 1:08 pm
though I'm not really all that confident.
Don't worry, really! You are reading wonderfully. You will get more confident on recording and editing with practice and what you can do now really meets LibriVox-Standards easily. If you don't aim for being the next audio-book-star, all is already fine and I am sure you can achieve being a star if it is your goal ;)