1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon » September 14th, 2018, 9:43 pm

My 1-minute test can be found at https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_neddieseagoon.mp3

It was recorded with Audacity 2.2.2 on Windows 10 with a Samson GO MIC USB microphone.

TIA for your feedback.

- neddieseagoon

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 15th, 2018, 12:48 am

Welcome at LibriVox, Grant :)

Wonderful! :clap:

The only thing checker remarks (and makes the file fail, but I don't really agree with checker here) is the background noise. There is a certain amount of it but it doesn't disturb that much and cleans out nicely with the noise-reduction-tool of audacity.
I feel sure that you are able to do this so the test is PL ok for me :)

An admin will soon come and mark it, you can hop over to the symphonic stories :)

Of course, if you really want to work on the noise here, feel invited to come back every time :)

neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon » September 15th, 2018, 8:43 am

Thanks. It surprised me a little to see that Checker doesn't check for background noise by default, even in "strict" mode, but the problem is easily remedied. Noise reduction of 12dB in Audacity makes the file pass. I also suspect that I could improve my mic placement. The background noise is probably the fan in my laptop, and the mic was right next to it when I made the recording.

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 15th, 2018, 9:33 am

I guess you found the checkmark for noise now :) It might be because some noises aren't bothering anyway, so that you always need a pair of ears and a brain between the both to listen to the files :hmm:

You are certainly right that avoiding to record noise in the first place is the best remedy :thumbs:

neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon » September 15th, 2018, 3:09 pm

I've uploaded the noise-reduced version as https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_neddieseagoon_nr12.mp3

neddieseagoon

Post by neddieseagoon » September 15th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Just so I'm sure I understand, am I waiting for some admin action here before I can start submitting recordings to the "Stories of Symphonic Music" thread?

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » September 16th, 2018, 4:50 am

neddieseagoon wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 9:09 pm
am I waiting for some admin action here before I can start submitting recordings to the "Stories of Symphonic Music" thread?
Oh, no, sorry that I didn't make it clearer.

You go ahead and start your recordings over there on the Stories of Symphonic Music.

The admin did already mark the thread ok, so all is fine :) And also if they had missed this thread (sometimes it happens), PL ok means "Proof listened ok" and gives you "permission" to record real stuff, or, on a project, means all is fine, file is accepted, time for the next file to record :).

Your new file is sounding way better now, too, I had a short listen :) :thumbs:

LingheartArdsonrich

Post by LingheartArdsonrich » October 9th, 2018, 6:51 am

Hello,

These properties came up when I tested your audio sample in Adobe.

EDITED by admin

The one minute test is designed to check that newbies have their technical settings correct before they record a live recording which can not be used and is not in any way an audition , you are providing more information than is needed and using software which is not free whose results do not match those of the recommended software.

Anne