1 minute test lpeders [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
lpeders

Post by lpeders » September 14th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Hello! Thank you for taking time to review my 1 minute test. My recording was made in my home using Audacity on Windows with a USB microphone.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lpeders.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 12:39 pm

hello Lauren and a warm welcome to our forum :)

thank you for your test. I just had a listen and you have an agreeable reading voice. So you already bring the talent into the game :thumbs:

For the technical settings however, there needs some changes, before I can give it a pass. Luckily you are using Audacity, then I can guide you through the steps. No need to re-record, simply open your previous test and do the following corrections to your settings.

1) your recording is in Stereo but we need it in Mono.

> go to Tracks
> select Stereo track to Mono (your two "windows" will merge into one)

2) you volume is below 85 dB which is not loud enough. We accept between 86 and 92 dB. To amplify, do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 3 (in your case now) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

3) you have a high level of background noise. Now the best thing is to check and find the source for the noise (maybe electrical appliance, traffic ?) Basically try to find the quietest room to record in ;) But to noise-clean in Audacity works too:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

4) your sampling rate is 48,000 Hz but should be 44,100 Hz. In the lower left bottom of Audacity there should be a drop-down box named Project Rate (Hz), there you can select 44,100. To change it in the settings go to:

> Edit
> Preferences
> Quality (on the left side)
> Default sample rate: 44,100 Hz

And that's it. It looks like a lot now, but once the basic settings are correct, Audacity will save them and you don't have to do this for every recording. However the background noise and the volume may need tweaking every time, so it's good you learn how to use these tools from the start.

Could you please reupload the corrected file in this same thread so I can have another listen ? If anything is still unclear, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Sonia

lpeders

Post by lpeders » September 17th, 2018, 9:09 am

Sonia,
Thank you so much for your kind encouragement and assistance! I've attempted to follow the instructions and hope I have made the changes appropriately. However, now that the recording is louder I am aware of the background noise you noticed. Please continue to critique and let me know if I missed a step.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lpedersC1.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 17th, 2018, 11:05 am

lpeders wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 9:09 am
Thank you so much for your kind encouragement and assistance! I've attempted to follow the instructions and hope I have made the changes appropriately. However, now that the recording is louder I am aware of the background noise you noticed. Please continue to critique and let me know if I missed a step.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lpedersC1.mp3
yes obviously the noise is also amplified when you amplify the whole section. You test does pass all criteria now, it's mono, the sample rate is exactly set, all the basic settings need not be changed anymore now. :thumbs:

Yes what you could do to decrease the background noise a little bit more is do one more round of noise cleaning. But then it should be good. You now know two very important tools of Audacity, noise cleaning and volume adjusting. With that you can make your recording sound quite fine already.

Anyway, I'll mark this test OK now and you are ready to participate in any project you are interested in. :)

Good luck and have fun recording !!

Sonia

lpeders

Post by lpeders » September 17th, 2018, 11:43 am

Thank you for your help Sonia! I would like to try a variety of readings (fiction, non-fiction, short stories, children's books, biblical text, and scientific works). I'm curious, once I begin participating in projects, will feedback be given by the listeners and coordinators? I saw in Phil Chenevert's video that it is best to start with short recordings like poetry, so that is where I plan to start.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 18th, 2018, 1:20 am

lpeders wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 11:43 am
I'm curious, once I begin participating in projects, will feedback be given by the listeners and coordinators?
every project has a DPL, which means dedicated prooflistener, and they are they only ones who listen to all the files and give feedback. To avoid overloading our server we do not encourage other readers to download sections from a project that is not finished and archived yet. Only the DPL should do that. So you will only get feedback from one in each project.

Also, because we have the rule of no unsolicited criticism, if you want more detailed feedback, please say it in the post when you upload your section.
I saw in Phil Chenevert's video that it is best to start with short recordings like poetry, so that is where I plan to start.
yes short sections is best, as you can learn the process of editing better with a short section than with a one-hour-recording. The weekly poem is a good start if you want quick feedback and a fast finished project, since it will be a new poem each week. Other projects take longer to finish :mrgreen:

The current weekly poem is The White Flag: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=71761

Good luck !

Sonia