1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
tatjupiter

Post by tatjupiter » September 14th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Hello,

Here is my 1 minute test. I recorded with the computer's microphone just to get started. I was a little excited! I have an external microphone that will be here tomorrow.

Here is the link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tatjupiter.mp3

Recording Software: Audacity
Operating System: Windows
Mic Type: Computer's internal microphone (temporary)

Appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you,
Amber
aka tatjupiter

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 11:52 am

Hello Amber and welcome to LV :)

I would recommend to do a new test once your microphone has arrived, since that will be the tool you want to use for your future recordings. But it's good to try out recording your voice already beforehand ;)

concerning your reading and voice, it sounds absolutely fine to me, easy to understand and nice to listen to.

The technical settings are also all LV standard, nothing you need to change there.

The background noise however.... :? is very disturbing, and I suspect that's because you used your internal mic. One can reduce the noise with Audacity, but it would be best if you had it toned down from the beginning.

Here is what you can do to make this recording sound better:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

I tried it and needed to run it twice to get your background noise to a lower level.

Also, you DC bias is quite high, you can change that here:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Normalize
> tick Remove DC offset and press OK

Could you try out these two corrections and reupload once more in this thread ? Then I can have another listen.

But I would still suggest, wait for the mic, do a new test, which you can also post in this thread, if you wish me to check it again, and then get ready for your first real recording :)

Sonia

tatjupiter

Post by tatjupiter » September 15th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Hello Sonia,

Thank you so much for listening to my test and for these tips. I'm so new to this, so this is very helpful. I received my new microphone today and was testing it out. It's not a high quality one, but was eager to get started and I guess you get what you pay for because when I playback my recordings there is static. Not sure if I can fix that or just need to upgrade to a better mic.

Thanks again,
Amber

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 1:23 pm

tatjupiter wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 1:11 pm
I received my new microphone today and was testing it out. It's not a high quality one, but was eager to get started and I guess you get what you pay for because when I playback my recordings there is static. Not sure if I can fix that or just need to upgrade to a better mic.
what mic are you using? Was this test done with your microphone ?

One thing is for sure, you don't have to buy a more expensive microphone right away. Just first try it out and once you are really hooked on recording :mrgreen: there is always time to upgrade.

The noise is loud but with the step-by-step you can reduce it. Just try it out. Also if you find the source for the noise, that could help a lot. Maybe the mic is standing too close to an electrical appliance, or it's the traffic. Could be anything.

I would suggest, re-record with the new mic (in case this wasn't the new mic) or noise-clean your old recording.

Don't worry, we'll get there. :)

Sonia

tatjupiter

Post by tatjupiter » September 15th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Hello Kitty,

The recording that you listened to was with the microphone that's in this computer. I just applied the suggestions that Sonia gave to fix it, and am about to reupload it in here.

Ha ha addicted to recording.. I haven't even started yet and I'm already so concerned about it sounding perfect.

Thanks for your help,
Amber

tatjupiter

Post by tatjupiter » September 15th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Here is my 1 minute test with the adjustments. Hope this is better.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tatjupiter.mp3

Thank you again for all the help
Amber

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 2:44 pm

tatjupiter wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 2:18 pm
The recording that you listened to was with the microphone that's in this computer. I just applied the suggestions that Sonia gave to fix it, and am about to reupload it in here.
actually that was me ;) Kitty is my forum name and Sonia is my real name.

So you did some noise-cleaning to the previous recording and to my ears it sounds fine now. I can give this test an OK, even though I would have preferred to hear the microphone that you are actually planning on using for your real recordings. But you know now about some basic functions in Audacity and I think you are ready to record.

As a suggestion, I would start with a short section, maybe a poem, to train yourself a bit before you launch into a half-hour chapter. You will notice that editing will take up to 3 or 4 times the time of the actual recording, especially at the beginning. So working on a 2 minute poem will give you a faster satisfaction and feedback guarantee than a long chapter.

But it's your choice. The most important thing is: have fun !

good night for now, it's getting late here.

Sonia

tatjupiter

Post by tatjupiter » September 15th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Hi,

Oh my goodness, I see that now that is your forum name. So sorry!

Thank you so much for the thumbs up!

I look forward to contribute as much as I can and have fun while I'm doing it.

Amber

LingheartArdsonrich

Post by LingheartArdsonrich » October 9th, 2018, 6:08 am

Hello,

These properties came up when I tested your audio sample in Adobe.

EDITED by admin

The one minute test is designed to check that newbies have their technical settings correct before they record a live recording which can not be used and is not in any way an audition , you are providing more information than is needed and using software which is not free whose results do not match those of the recommended software.

Anne