My 1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Tmcnutt

Post by Tmcnutt » September 13th, 2018, 12:30 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tmcnutt.mp3

Here is the link to my one minute test. I am using Audacity on a Windows OS with a USB mic. Thanks for any feedback!

Trevor

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 4:47 am

Hi Trevor, welcome to LibriVox :)

thank you for starting with a one-minute test. I just had a listen and like your voice very much. Also the quiet pacing is perfect to listen to and understand everything. :thumbs: The basic technical settings are also correct. There's only two things I want to point out which need correcting. As you are using Audacity both can be corrected without re-recording.

1) the volume is too low, only 83.9 dB. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, preferably around the average of 89. Could you please amplify by 5 ? Here is the step-by-step, in case you are not too familiar with Audacity yet.

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 5 in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

2) the background noise is a bit high, and now with amplification it's even higher. Here we need to do a round of noise-cleaning:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

Can you please reupload the corrected version in this same thread so I can have another look ? If there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Sonia

Tmcnutt

Post by Tmcnutt » September 15th, 2018, 5:59 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tmcnutt.mp3

Here is the link to my updated one-minute test. I used a noise reduction and I think got the dB in the right range. I am using Audacity on a Windows OS with a USB mic. Thanks for the previous feedback and any more you might have! :D

Trevor

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 8:52 am

thanks, yes, now you are just inside our accepted range. A decibel or two more wouldn't hurt ;)

Since you are using Audacity, we have here a nice plug-in to assess the volume. If you install and run it, it will calculate the amount you need to amplify or decrease to get to the optimal 89 dB.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
And with this your test is OK :thumbs: You are now ready to participate in any project on offer. Have fun !!!!

Sonia