One Minute Test! [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
exisielle

Post by exisielle » September 12th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Hello!

Here is the link to my "One Minute Test": https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_exisielle.wav

Specs-
Recording Program: Studio One 3
Operating System: Mac
Mic: Behringer XLR Mic via PreSonus AudioBox USB

Thanks for listening and for any feedback you can give! :mrgreen:

-Lexi

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 13th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Hello Lexy, and a warm welcome to Librivox :)

thank you for the test, however to check the technical settings, you need to upload it in mp3 format. I am not familiar with the editing program you use, but I'm sure, on the export level there must be an option to "save as mp3".

Could you reupload the text once more as mp3 and post the link in this same thread ? Then I can have a listen and give informed feedback.

Have a nice weekend and see you soon

Sonia

exisielle

Post by exisielle » September 17th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Hi Sonia,

Sorry about that. I had read the instructions but then saw on the uploader that one could upload .wav files, so I thought it would be alright. Here it is in mp3 format!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_exisielle.mp3

Thanks for your feedback :)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 18th, 2018, 3:04 am

exisielle wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 4:42 pm
Sorry about that. I had read the instructions but then saw on the uploader that one could upload .wav files, so I thought it would be alright.
ah yes maybe the uploader supports other files, but our default recordings should all be done in mp3

thanks for the test now. Your reading is nice and clear and easy to understand. The technical settings are all up to LV standard.

Just one thing needs correcting before I can mark it ok:

the volume is too low. Barely 84 dB, we accept between 86 and 92. A good averagre would be 89 dB. So what you can do here is amplify the test by 5 dB and you'll be good. :) I don't know your editing program, so I can't give you a step-by-step there, but you seem to know your way around the technical things, if I'm not mistaken.

You do have a bit of a background hum, but at least to my ears it's not too disturbing. You could do one round of noise-cleaning, but the test would pass also without it.

So only the amplification of the volume. Could you reupload one more time please ?

Thanks

Sonia

exisielle

Post by exisielle » September 19th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Hi Sonia,

Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure to do this going forward. I do know some, but I definitely need to learn more...
Here it is cleaned up and louder: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_exisielle.mp3

exisielle

Post by exisielle » September 19th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Hope that worked...Sounds about the same to me. I'm having a little trouble determining where to find the db on Audacity (I switched to that because the program version I was using didn't do mp3s :( )

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 19th, 2018, 11:41 pm

exisielle wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 3:03 pm
Hope that worked...Sounds about the same to me. I'm having a little trouble determining where to find the db on Audacity (I switched to that because the program version I was using didn't do mp3s :( )
yes this test is absolutely OK now. You're at 88.6 dB.

Here's a good plug-in for Audacity, it calculates you the exact amount you need to amplify or decrease to get to the average of 89 dB. I use it all the time, it's very handy.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
And with that you are ready to roll ! Enjoy your first real recording for a LV project. And hopefully one day I'll hear you again in one of the projects I'm DPL for :D

Sonia

exisielle

Post by exisielle » September 20th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Great! Thanks for the plug-in, that will really help me! I'm excited to get started.