1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
mustangroxby

Post by mustangroxby » September 11th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Hello! Thank you for reviewing this 1 minute test. :D

Recording software (Audacity), operating system (Mac) and mic type (USB)

This is an unfiltered recording. I'm sorry if there are breaths or mouth clicks. I know how to filter those out, but it said a raw recording - yikes!
Any suggestions for managing plosives and minimizing mouth click/smacks without having to edit are helpful.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_test_CStark.mp3

Thanks again!
Cyndi - aka MustangRoxby

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 12th, 2018, 2:27 am

Hello Cyndi, welcome (once again, I see you already registered a few months ago)

thanks for your test. You have a nice voice to listen to and it sounds like you love reading aloud, which is perfect for audiobook narration. :D

first of all, breaths, unless they are really loud (as if you just ran a marathon), are not at all disturbing. I would find it more disturbing to have complete silence between the sentences. Only robots don't breathe ;) and most of us probably prefer to know they are listening to a human reader, so don't get rid of all the breaths.

As for mouthclicks, I don't have an optimal method. Some say you need to keep your mouth hydrated while recording, that would reduce it. It's also probably a sort of technique you can learn with time. When I notice a very ugly mouthclick, I usually re-record that sentence right after and take care to make it better. In the end one can easily cut out the offensive sentence ;)

Two things I would like you to correct on your recording before I mark it ok:

1) the volume is slightly under our accepted limit of 86-92 dB (yours is barely 85). Could you please amplify by 3 to get close to the desired average of 89 ?

2) your background noise is quite audible and would profit from a round of noise-cleaning. Audacity has a good noise-cleaning function. You mentioned that you know how to use your editing program already, so I guess I don't need to give you a step-by-step.

If you need any more help though, don't hesitate to ask :)

Could you do these two corrections to your test please (no need to re-record) and post it back in this thread, so I can have a second listen ? I'm sure you'll be fine then. :)

Sonia

mustangroxby

Post by mustangroxby » September 14th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Hey Sonia,

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. Mouth smacking is my nemesis. :wink:
I hope I was able to increase the volume enough. I'm still getting used to Audacity. I use Camtasia for my VO projects at work.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_test_CStark_revised.mp3

Thanks again,
Cyndi

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 1:04 am

Hi again

thank you for the second test. Did you re-record or only amplify ? It's only, now your volume is much over our limit. You had 85 dB before and with the amplification of 3 dB that I mentioned you should have gotten to 88 dB, but you are now at 94.4 :shock: which is as if you had amplified by 10. :hmm:

Just to make sure you did the correct step-by-steps. Could you please decrease the volume by 5 this time to get inside the limits ? Here is how it should be done in Audacity, let me know if that is what you did last time:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -5 (don't forget the MINUS) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

This should bring your current test to 89 dB. Could you try this one last time and then I'm sure you'll be ready. :) Please do not re-record, it's important that you know how to use the few functions in Audacity, for later recordings.

Thanks

Sonia

mustangroxby

Post by mustangroxby » September 15th, 2018, 6:12 am

Hi Sonia,

I did not re-record. I guess there is a learning curve with Audacity. :lol:
Thank you for your help. I tried increasing by 3 originally, but it would only let me increase by 2, so I clicked repeat amplification. I had no idea it would amplify it that much. Sorry about that. :shock:

How can you tell the current db of a recording? I tried Google, but couldn't find an answer.

Let's hope this one passes. Thank you again for all your help. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_test_CStark_revised2.mp3

Cyndi

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 8:57 am

mustangroxby wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 6:12 am
I tried increasing by 3 originally, but it would only let me increase by 2, so I clicked repeat amplification. I had no idea it would amplify it that much.
bizarre that this would happen :hmm:

well, it's good now, you're at 89 dB. :thumbs: The test is OK now and you're ready to record for real. Feel free to participate in any project on offer here, I hope you already had a bit of a look around.
How can you tell the current db of a recording? I tried Google, but couldn't find an answer.
Since you are using Audacity, we have here a nice plug-in to assess the volume. It will calculate the exact amount you need to amplify or decrease to get to the optimal 89 dB.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
I use it with all my recordings and never have a volume issue. Quite handy.

Good luck with your first recording. And maybe one day I'll hear you again in one of the projects I'm prooflistening. :D

Sonia

mustangroxby

Post by mustangroxby » September 15th, 2018, 11:07 am

I went back and played with the Amplify feature. I think the first attempt was user error and learning curve. :shock:
I think I figured it out with your guidance. Thank you so much!!! :D :D :D
I'm so excited to get started.

I previously looked into ReplayGain, but I have a Mac. Would this plug-in still work for me?

Cyndi

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 11:12 am

mustangroxby wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 11:07 am
I previously looked into ReplayGain, but I have a Mac. Would this plug-in still work for me?
I'm not a computer expert so I don't know. :hmm: But I think, since replay gain is installed and used inside the audacity program, it doesn't matter if it's on a mac. You have to try it out. (and you could tell me what you found out ;) )

Sonia

mustangroxby

Post by mustangroxby » September 15th, 2018, 11:30 am

Hi! Glad you're online. It's so nice to chat real time. :D

Looks like the plug-in is not supported on a Mac. :( I will do my best to adjust my settings to get the correct dbs.
I will also keep an eye for any ReplayGain substitutes for Mac.

Again, I really appreciate your help. I am really excited to get started. :9:

Cyndi

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2018, 11:37 am

mustangroxby wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 11:30 am
Looks like the plug-in is not supported on a Mac. :( I will do my best to adjust my settings to get the correct dbs.
I will also keep an eye for any ReplayGain substitutes for Mac.
oh I'm sorry :(

Alternatively you could try the Checker: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

this is what many of us here use to check the technical settings and it also tells you the volume. It just needs one step more, you need to export to mp3, then check with the checker and if it tells you for example that your volume is 95 then you have to open the file in Audacity again, decrease by -5 and re-export to mp3 and then checker will tell you it's at 90 db.

Replay Gain would be a bit faster, but Checker does the job too.

Let's hope this one works on Mac.

Good luck !

Sonia

mustangroxby

Post by mustangroxby » September 15th, 2018, 11:41 am

Awesome! Thanks, I'll try that.

LingheartArdsonrich

Post by LingheartArdsonrich » October 9th, 2018, 6:58 am

Hello,

These properties came up when I tested your audio sample in Adobe.

EDITED by admin

The one minute test is designed to check that newbies have their technical settings correct before they record a live recording which can not be used and is not in any way an audition , you are providing more information than is needed and using software which is not free whose results do not match those of the recommended software.

Anne