1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
SherryGreen

Post by SherryGreen » September 10th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Hi all!

Recorded using Audacity on Windows 10 with a USB microphone.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_sherrygreen.mp3
Sherry

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 12th, 2018, 1:39 am

hello Sherry, welcome to our forum :)

I just had a listen to your test and I really love your soft, quiet voice :9: It will be a pleasure to hear you read stories to people.

The basic technical settings are also correct, so nothing to change there.

1. However there are a few things that need tweaking still, most noticeably the background noise, which is quite excessive. I hope you can track down the source of this hum and maybe do sth about it. Maybe it's an electrical appliance too close to the mic ? Could be traffic, if so, closing windows may help already. Basically, try to record in the quietest room possible ;)

Now we can work with this test to make it better, but it will always be best to have less noise from the start.

Here's how to noise-clean in Audacity, could you try the following step-by-step please:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

You probably have to do this process twice, to get rid of all the noise.

2. the second thing is the volume, which was 86 dB before noise-cleaning and dropped even lower after noise-cleaning. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, with a preferred average of 89. So you could also amplify this recording by 2 dB at least.

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 2 (in your case now) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

3. also I notice you have quite a high DC bias, that's when your waves are not exactly centred around the middle blue line in Audacity. You can repair this offset here:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Normalize
> tick Remove DC offset and press OK

Could you please do these 3 corrections on your old file and reupload here in this same thread so I can have a second look ? Alternatively, if you found the noise-source or are in another room, you could also re-record from scratch and maybe then you don't have to noise-clean that much. It's as you wish. But maybe trying out Audacity functions is not a bad idea to get familiar with them.

If anything is still unclear, don't hesitate to ask.

Sonia

SherryGreen

Post by SherryGreen » September 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/retest_sherrygreen.mp3

Okay, here's my edited test! I might still try to play around with mic placement, because I'm already recording in the quietest location in my house with windows and doors closed. Maybe it's too close to the laptop or needs to be on a surface other than my desk? :hmm:
Sherry

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 12th, 2018, 12:56 pm

SherryGreen wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/retest_sherrygreen.mp3

Okay, here's my edited test! I might still try to play around with mic placement, because I'm already recording in the quietest location in my house with windows and doors closed. Maybe it's too close to the laptop or needs to be on a surface other than my desk? :hmm:
yes there could be many reasons for the noise. Too close to the computer could be, if you have the computer plugged in the socket. If you have a laptop that also runs on battery, try recording while it is unplugged, the noise of the fan will be less.

Anyway, your test could still use maybe one round of noise-cleaning but it is way better than before. To my ears the noise is not that disturbing. And you know now how the noise cleaning function in audacity works, so there is no point in keeping you from recording for real.

I'll mark the test OK and you are free to join any projects on offer :)

You'll see with each new recording you will find new tweaks and techniques. We all learn more every day.

Have fun !

Sonia

SherryGreen

Post by SherryGreen » September 12th, 2018, 12:59 pm

I hadn't even thought of unplugging the laptop first. I'll give that a go, thanks!
Sherry

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 12th, 2018, 1:01 pm

SherryGreen wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 12:59 pm
I hadn't even thought of unplugging the laptop first. I'll give that a go, thanks!
I have a laptop and I speak from experience, I would never record when it's plugged in. The noise is horrible, while unplugged it is totally smooth. Well I still need a round of noise-cleaning, but it's much less pronounced to start with than your initial recording was.

:thumbs: let's hope this solves your problem too :)

Sonia

LingheartArdsonrich

Post by LingheartArdsonrich » October 9th, 2018, 6:44 am

EDITED by admin

The one minute test is designed to check that newbies have their technical settings correct before they record a live recording which can not be used and is not in any way an audition , you are providing more information than is needed and using software which is not free whose results do not match those of the recommended software.

Anne

SherryGreen

Post by SherryGreen » October 24th, 2018, 9:22 pm

I'm sorry, I'm confused here. My test was already given the OK and I did, in fact, use the same free software that is recommended everywhere on all of the "newbie" guides Librivox has published. :hmm:
Sherry

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 24th, 2018, 11:32 pm

don't worry, Sherry, your test was ok and you can start recording for projects whenever you wish. Lingheart Ardsonrich was only giving further technical background info, which unfortunately exceeded our forum demands greatly. I'm sorry it confused you.

Your test is fine, nothing has changed there :)

Sonia