1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
kparvaun

Post by kparvaun » September 10th, 2018, 8:33 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kparvaun.mp3

This was recorded with:
Windows 10
Wavepad Sound Editor v 6.65
a USB mic (supposedly BM-800; it came as a part of a condenser kit--everything is in Chinese)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 12th, 2018, 1:23 am

Hello Kavanh (I hope I got the name right)

welcome to our forum and thanks for starting out with a test. Your reading is absolutely fine, easy to understand and your basic technical settings are also up to LV standard. :thumbs:

There's only one thing we need to change and that is the volume, which is quite low. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, yours is only 77.9 dB, so it would be good if you amplified by 11 to get into the optimal average of around 89.

I don't know your editing program Wavepad, but I'm sure there must be some tool to amplify the whole recording. Also maybe you can toggle you microphone to a higher input volume, so your recording will be louder from the start.

Could you please try to amplify (no need to re-record) and post the result in this same thread, then I can have another look ?

Thanks

Sonia

kparvaun

Post by kparvaun » September 12th, 2018, 7:51 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test4_kparvaun.mp3

Thanks so much for the feedback. I re-recorded simply because of saving issues on the original.

I used Audacity to amplify (Wavepad does amplification in percentages with current volume at 100%, so I wasn't sure).

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 12th, 2018, 11:07 pm

thank you for this new test. Now your volume is at 91.1 dB, which is just inside our limit. :thumbs:

I can mark the test OK then and you're ready to participate in any project on offer here :)

If you are using Audacity to edit, I have a handy plug-in to assess the volume. It will tell you by how much you need to amplify or decrease to get to the average 89 dB.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
Have fun with your first real recordings !

Sonia

kparvaun

Post by kparvaun » September 13th, 2018, 9:41 pm

Thank you so much for the insight and assistance! :D