1 min test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
boringshrink

Post by boringshrink » July 20th, 2018, 6:30 am

Hello! Looking for feedback on my first 1 min test. This was recorded on a Mac using Audacity, with a USB headset mic. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1mintest.mp3

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 21st, 2018, 12:21 pm

Hello Cecilia,

Thank you for the test. You have a great reading voice! :thumbs:

I have two notes. One you'll need to heed to get an OK, the other you don't have to, but for the future it might help if you do something about it.

First, your recording is a bit too soft for LibriVox. Checker measures the volume at 84 dB, and we need 89 (or anywhere between 87 and 91) dB. To get your recording volume up, move the mic slider in Audacity a bit to the right. How much? I don't know, you'll need to experiment. Download and install Checker so you can verify the volume of your MP3 files before you upload them.

The test can be amplified by 5 dB and saved and re-exported, to meet the technical requirements. Do that.

The second note is about the plosives. The air escaping your mouth when you say sounds like 'p' and 'th', hits the microphone and produces a "thump" or "bump" which does not sound good when listened to. To prevent this you need to move the mic (or the headset) so that the capsule is not in the direct path of the air. Move it up or down a bit. Watch the resulting volume, for if the mic is now farther away from your mouth, the levels can diminish a touch, but you can know and fix that with the gain slider.

So, if you get the volume of your test recording up (and show us by re-uploading the amplified test), you're going to be all set, if you promise to take care of the plosives.

If you have doubts, feel free to do another take and let's hear it. And if you have questions, just ask. We're here to help! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

boringshrink

Post by boringshrink » July 30th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Thank you for the help! Sorry it's taken me so long to come back on. Life got the better of me! Here's the amplified version of the original 1-min test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_min_test_2.mp3

I also played around with my headset mic and Checker for awhile, and I think I found a position that minimizes the plosives and stays within range. I hope this works: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/plosive_test_3.mp3

Thanks again!

Cecilia

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 30th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Hello Cecilia,

Thank you for your test. You are correct. The "3" has the best sound, so consider the new microphone position a keeper! :thumbs:

All other aspects of the test are good. You are ready for LibriVox.

If you, after experimenting with the microphone, Checker, still feel like learning something new, you might look into noise reduction (there is a bit of room noise in your track), see this wiki page for reference. Mind you the background does not sound bad at all in your audio, so if you feel tired of all the tools and just want to jump into reading, you sure may.

An admin will stop by to mark this thread with an OK, and there is no need for you to wait, you can already visit our "Readers Wanted" forums and sign up to a group project (or a few).

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please