1 Minute Test - Feedback Appreciated! [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
PhantomBelle

Post by PhantomBelle » July 10th, 2018, 8:18 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_PhantomBelle.mp3

This was done with the most recent version of Audacity, running Windows 10, and with a USB microphone.

I really appreciate any feedback on how I could improve!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 12th, 2018, 2:29 am

hello Phoebe (I hope I heard your name correctly :oops: )

thank you for your test ! You have a very clear and fluent way of narrating, so it's nice listening to you. :) Nothing wrong with the technical settings either, so I see you did your homework :thumbs:

However there are two things that still need a bit of tweaking.

1) your volume is too low. We accept between 86 and 92 dB and yours is only 82.9 dB. No need to re-record though, this gives me the opportunity to teach you the ropes in Audacity a bit. Try the following to amplify your current test:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 6 (for your case now) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

2) your background noise is very high and now after amplifying the recording you amplified the noise with 6 dB as well :? But Audacity has a good noise-cleaning function, which can be done like this:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

Could you do these two step-by-steps with your previous test please, and reupload and post in this same thread so I can have a second listen ? If there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Sonia

PhantomBelle

Post by PhantomBelle » July 12th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Hi Sonia! Thanks for the help!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_Minute_Test_-_LibriVoxV2.mp3

I did the steps you mentioned (that amplify setting was really helpful as I really struggled with getting the right volume!).

Let me know what you think!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 12th, 2018, 11:31 pm

YES ! :thumbs: The volume is correct in the desire average of about 89 dB now and the background noise is not disturbing anymore. I'll mark your test OK and you are ready to roll :D

If there are any questions still, never hesitate to ask ! And now, I hope you find a nice section to start out recording "for real".

Have fun and wishing you a wonderful weekend of recording (like Peter Piper :lol: )

Sonia