1 minute test, feedback welcomed [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Matvevna

Post by Matvevna » July 10th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Hi,
Please listen my (less than) 1 minute test. I've passed in checker.
But since I'm a new in voice recording, advise on speach and intonation also welcomed :) Probably as for many newcomers my own voice sounds weird to me... :wink:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_inna.mp3

Thanks!

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 10th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Hello Inna,

Thank you for the test! What a nice voice you have. :)

Did you do any cleanup on it? Do you have voice-activated recording turned on? I hear some static (hiss/rustling), but only under your voice, when you speak. If your mic has some kind of "noise cancellation" feature or "automatic gain control", you should consider turning them off and let the noise be recorded so it can be reduced in post-processing.

As is, your test meets our requirements, which is great! :thumbs: I believe that we can make the audio sound better, though.

BTW, what happened in the last 1.5 seconds of the recording? The level suddenly drops off significantly? Did you turn away from the mic?

Anyway, you're basically ready for LibriVox. Even with that rustling noise your reading can be accepted, I am sure. If you'd like to try to improve it, I'm here and others (Mark/KarlKuzmich?) I am sure will be around to answer your questions.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Matvevna

Post by Matvevna » July 11th, 2018, 12:51 am

Thank you for feedback! :)
Yes, I also have noticed the noise under my voice, but not sure at what moment it became so. And the last 1,5 sec... I've tried different editing tools on this recording.... :?
There are some ideas on how to improve the quality. But the main issue is that I want to be flexible with recording tasks. And laptop is not always with me. So maybe if I record with my phone and then edit quality in Audacity....Will that work fine? :)
And I also plan to test other mic with laptop later to compare the outcome.