test upload—deakle[OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
deakle

Post by deakle » July 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_deakle.mp3
Here is my one minute test—I'm new here, I hope this came out OK

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 8th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Hello deakle,

Thanks for the test. All technical stuff is fine with it, except one. Your audio is too hot. In fact, it's clipping all over.

Please reduce the gain of your microphone until you can get your waveform to appear similar to this one:

See how the peaks barely reach 0.5 mark?

Please do another take. You can use the same poem if you like. Or you can use our "Peter Piper" text (you can find it here)

Also, if you install Checker, you will be able to validate your own MP3 files before uploading them.

You're doing well. Just a small adjustment to your process. :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

deakle

Post by deakle » July 8th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll re-do my test later tonight.

deakle

Post by deakle » July 8th, 2018, 11:24 pm

OK, trying again. Hope this is better.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 9th, 2018, 4:46 am

Hi David,

It's much better in the sense that now your nice voice is so much clearer because it's not clipped. :thumbs:

The volume is too low now. The waveform now looks like a string of beads with the peaks hardly reaching about 0.1 of the maximum.

Well, it's better than before because you can safely amplify it without any deterioration of quality.

You didn't download Checker as I suggested, did you? Please do. It is not always possible to hit the right volume while recording, and while we try (by keeping the peaks about 0.5 of the maximum), we often have to bring the volume into the required range in post-processing.

If you run your MP3 file through Checker, you will know what the perceived volume is, and knowing the target value (89 dB, or anywhere between 87 and 91 dB) you can amplify your track by the amount necessary.

Your second test is measured by Checker to have 73.6 dB of volume, which means you need to amplify it by ~15 dB to get in the range. Please select the entire track, then do Effect -> Amplify... and enter 15 as the value. You should see the peaks mostly in the upper half of 0 - 0.5 range then. Don't forget to save. After that export like you did before, and re-upload.

Thanks for your efforts! Just a couple steps to your goal. :)
tovarisch

deakle

Post by deakle » July 9th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Thanks—I did download checker, finally, and I’ve managed to amplify it. Slowly figuring out how things work. Here it is again. (Also posted to Listeners and Editors Wanted forum)

David

deakle

Post by deakle » July 9th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Thanks—I did download checker, finally, and I’ve managed to amplify it. Slowly figuring out how things work. Here it is again. (Also posted to Listeners and Editors Wanted forum)

David

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 9th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Perfect! :clap:

You are ready for LibriVox. :thumbs:

An admin will stop by to mark this thread with an OK. You need not wait and can already visit our "Readers Wanted" forums and pick a group project to join.

On our wiki (the link is at the top of each forum page) you will find a bunch of "Instructional Videos" (there a page dedicate to them). Check them out.

Also make sure to read the first post of the project carefully.

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch