one minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
rhoaut

Post by rhoaut » July 3rd, 2018, 11:44 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rhoaut.mp3

audacity, windows computer, usb mic

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 3rd, 2018, 12:48 pm

Hello Leah,

Thanks for the test. It sounds good, and you can definitely make it even better.

First off, you need a pop filter. If you haven't got one, do place your microphone a bit to the side so that your breath does not hit the microphone when you speak 'p' and 'th' sounds. Try to keep the same distance from the mic to your mouth, otherwise simply adjust the gain to keep the level close to what it was before. Without the pop filter and with the current position of the mic, you have too many plosives, e.g. between 4 and 6 seconds.

Seconds, once you put your plosives away, do export your MP3 with 128 kbps as "quality" (yours is 192 kbps).

So, please do one more take, watch your plosives and export with the correct settings. Then upload like you did before and post a reply in this very thread.

Hope to hear you again soon! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

rhoaut

Post by rhoaut » July 6th, 2018, 7:22 am

rhoaut

Post by rhoaut » July 6th, 2018, 7:22 am

I have resubmitted the test. If it is not better, I will go get a pop filter. :) (I used a makeshift one)

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 6th, 2018, 8:49 am

It's much better, Leah! :clap:

There are two new issues, though.

First and foremost is the volume. Your recording is now softer than is acceptable for LibriVox. It is easily fixed. Open your saved recording, select the entire track (Ctrl+A) and do Effect -> Amplify... and enter 5 as "value". That will make it 5 decibels louder than it was. Then save.

The second issue is the background noise. It's not too awful, but as you amplify your voice, so does the noise get amplified. To reduce the noise do the following. Select about a second of the "silence" in the beginning of your track (between time index 0.5 and 1.5 seconds), then Effect -> Noise Reduction... -> Get Noise Profile. Then select the entire track (Ctrl+A) and do Effect -> Noise Reduction... -> OK. Then save.

Then export again, like before, and re-upload.

To check the volume (and other stuff) of your MP3, download and install Checker (see this wiki page). The volume needs to be between 87 and 91 dB.

Hope to hear from you again soon. :)
tovarisch

rhoaut

Post by rhoaut » July 6th, 2018, 10:04 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rhoaut.mp3

audacity, windows, usb mic.
I think I got it!!

rhoaut

Post by rhoaut » July 6th, 2018, 10:04 am

I think I got it!! :)

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 6th, 2018, 11:01 am

You did get it, Leah! :thumbs:

You are ready for LibriVox. If you have installed Checker, don't forget to use it.

An admin will stop by to mark this thread with an OK, eventually. You need not wait and can already go to our "Readers Wanted" forums and pick a group project to join. Claim a section or a few and read away!

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch