One Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Ksimpson

Post by Ksimpson » July 4th, 2018, 11:35 am

Hello Everyone,

I uploaded two tests and was curious if one was better then the other or if the both needed to be corrected.

The first is one I corrected and made my microphone softer but I am worried it my be too soft. The second upload is the original and first recording before I made my settings more quiet.

Thankful for any helps and tips you have to give.

Below are the links:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ksimpson.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ksimpson2.mp3
I am Kay, fellow newbie and fascinated with voice acting.

"The difference between novice and the master is that the master has failed more times than the novice has tried." Koro Sensei

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 5th, 2018, 3:45 am

Hello Kay, welcome to Librivox :)

I just had a listen to your test, which is very beautifully narrated. :thumbs: Already you have the best basics for audio-book narration: an agreeable reading voice and a beautiful and clear diction.

Regarding the technical aspects though, unfortunately, we need to tweak a bit more before it's up to LV standards.

As you said:
The first is one I corrected and made my microphone softer but I am worried it my be too soft. The second upload is the original and first recording before I made my settings more quiet.
it is definitely too soft. I barely heard your voice without cranking it up very high :shock: We accept between 86 and 92 dB with a preferred average of 89 dB. Yours in comparison were 71.9 and 83 dB, so really very below the desired minimum.

I'm going to base my corrections now on the louder test "ksimpson2". Could you please work on that file (do not re-record, I prefer that you learn the basics of editing as that will come in handy later on). I hope you are using Audacity, as I am going to base my step-by-steps on that program:

1) your DC bias is quite high. Normal would be around -1, 0 or +1, yours is +17. This means your recording is not totally centred. Easy to correct. Please do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Normalize
> tick Remove DC offset and press OK

2) the volume needs to be amplified. Here is the step-by-step:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 6 (in your case now, for the second test !) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

3) your bitrate is 192 kbps, but we need 128 kbps. This is done while exporting to mp3:

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel Mode: Joint Stereo
> press Ok

Could you please do these 3 corrections and reupload into this same thread, so I can have a second listen ? If there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia

Ksimpson

Post by Ksimpson » July 5th, 2018, 7:43 am

Good Morning Sonia,

Thank you so much for your time and your sweet words, it really does encourage me to keep going. Yes I am using audacity and the instructions are very helpful!

However there seems to be a problem. After I completed the first step my volume got very high. So Now when I try to do step to it won't let me click okay after I type 6 in the box.

So here is the new recording which did make a huge difference in volume. As usual I look forward to any and all help you can throw my way.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ksimpson2.0_.mp3

"The difference between novice and the master is that the master has failed more times than the novice has tried." Koro Sensei

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 5th, 2018, 10:31 am

hi again, thanks for your quick reply and work on this :)
However there seems to be a problem. After I completed the first step my volume got very high. So Now when I try to do step to it won't let me click okay after I type 6 in the box.
:hmm: what exactly did you do ? You mean you "normalized" the DC bias and then it got louder ? That should not have happened
So here is the new recording which did make a huge difference in volume. As usual I look forward to any and all help you can throw my way.
so this is a new recording ? Well, congrats then, this one passes all the tests ! :thumbs: It's 89 dB on the dot and has 0 DC bias. I don't know how you did it this time, but it seems to have worked. :lol:

Your test is therefore OK and you are ready to roll. I hope you find some interesting project to start out with and maybe one day I'll hear you in one of the projects I'm prooflistening :)

Have fun !!!

Sonia

Ksimpson

Post by Ksimpson » July 6th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Thank you so much I look forward to starting!