One minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
DeborahMadick

Post by DeborahMadick » July 3rd, 2018, 4:02 pm

May you live all the days of your life. Swift

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 3rd, 2018, 6:01 pm

Hi Deborah,

I didn't want to respond to your posts in the other thread, since it was for another member's 1-minute test. Thank you for starting a new thread.

Your test is almost there. :thumbs: The only thing that needs your attention now is the volume.

Please give your nice microphone just a bit more gain so that when in Audacity you see your waveform, it looks like this:

(see how the peaks reach about half-way to the top and bottom?)

We use software called Checker to validate our files before uploading. You can get that software (it's free) and install it on your computer and run your MP3 files through it.

Among other aspects Checker calculates a special measurement we call "Volume". We need it to be in the range of 87-91 dB. When you have your MP3 you're about to upload, run it through Checker. On the Information page it will tell you the volume. If it's outside of the range, you'll need to change it by amplifying the entire track. If the existing volume is too low (like your test, for instance, which is just below 70 dB), you amplify with a positive value, 89 (the middle of the range) minus 70 is 19. Give 19 as the value for the Amplify effect in Audacity. You may need to select the entire track first (Ctrl+A).

If you have any questions, do ask.

Once you got the volume in the range (and everything else is very good already), re-upload the file and post a reply here in this thread.

Look forward to your fixed test recording! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

DeborahMadick

Post by DeborahMadick » July 3rd, 2018, 8:18 pm

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 3rd, 2018, 9:14 pm

Yes, Deborah, amplification worked too. Please make sure when you record, the volume of the MP3 is good.

Now that you know of Checker and the Amplify effect, you are ready for LibriVox.

You don't need to wait for the admin's OK, which will be forthcoming at some point, I am sure. Have fun recording! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

DeborahMadick

Post by DeborahMadick » July 4th, 2018, 6:35 am

Thank you for your advise. The checker program is very helpful.
Thank you.