1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
SusanFerman

Post by SusanFerman » June 29th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Thanks to a lot of help form several people, my one minute test is finally uploaded. I think my "P"s pop a bit, so I know I need to play with the placement of my pop filter. First time I have used the mic, so feedback would really help. The mic seems to be very gain-hungry, and I can't afford a pre-amp right now. The tech side of things is definitely not my strong point! I also have a couple of dynamic mics, if you think one of those would be better.

Windows 7
Sterling ST51 cardioid condenser mic, w/ Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface
Audition 1.5 (my work program, and my boss doesn't like newer versions, so I can't update to a more recent one) :?

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/test_susanferman.mp3
Susan Ferman Austin
Susan Ferman

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 30th, 2018, 11:25 am

Hi Susan. Welcome to LibriVox.

Your test is good! The gain is not a problem. In fact, you have some room to spare. I would not try to go any louder. There is a little low background. Maybe a fan of some sort? However, it's not really that noticeable except at the end after you stop speaking, so I wouldn't worry about it unless it something obvious in your recording environment that you could easily switch off. :)

I'm marking this one OK! Have fun recording!
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

SusanFerman

Post by SusanFerman » June 30th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Thank you, Jo!
Susan Ferman

SusanFerman

Post by SusanFerman » July 1st, 2018, 11:39 am

Found the noise! You were right, Jo, it was a fan. I don't know how on earth the mic picked it up, but my daughter and son-in-law had a big fan going in their room---on a different floor and and 15 feet south of my studio. I never would have thought to look there, until I happened the be in the next room and heard it through the wall. Go figure! :D
Susan Ferman