one minute test for new computer [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
david wales

Post by david wales » June 27th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Hi wonderful librivox fixers, I've just bought a new computer, a Microsoft surface book using windows 10, and I wanted to do a test to make sure I have configured audacity correctly. I'm using audacity and a usb microphone (Samson). I have been using mp3gain to text my recording level but when I try to install in on the new computer, it says something is missing from windows and won't install. Is there something else I can use to test the recording level? I go back to audacity to adjust the level. Thanks for your help.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test1.mp3

Peace, David Wales
Peace, David

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 27th, 2018, 6:01 pm

David,

Your test is all good technically, and the first 30 seconds sound great! :thumbs: (the second half you didn't do noise-reduction I suspect)

To answer your question, I don't use ReplayGain. I simply run my MP3s through Checker and if it tells me that the volume is too far off 89 dB, I adjust the output gain in the effects (I use Reaper).

Be hearing ya! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » June 29th, 2018, 3:36 pm

David,
A useful program for users of Audacity is the plugin ReplayGain.
- Click this link,
http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4685
and save the file to your computer - somewhere you can find it.
- Then go to the folder in which Audacity is installed (on my computer, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity) and open the Plug-Ins folder.
- Drag or copy the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
- The next time you start up Audacity go to Effect/ReplayGain* and it'll tell you how much you can amplify your file. If you highlight part of the file it will tell you how much you can amplify just that part of the file. It does not give you the exact dB of the file but it can be inferred from how much it tells you to amplify.
*If you do not see the plugin (near the bottom of the Effect dropdown menu), then at the very top of the Effect menu click on Add/Remove Plugins. You may need to "enable" the plugin. Once enabled restart Audacity and look for the plugin in the Effect dropdown menu.
Dave