1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
Galaneth
Posts: 9
Joined: June 21st, 2018, 10:51 am

Post by Galaneth » June 22nd, 2018, 12:21 pm

Howdy there! I used Audacity to record and edit. My editing process was this: Highlight>Get Noise Profile>Highlight Track>Repeat Noise Reduction>Equalization>Bass Boost>Equalization>Treble Boost>Normalize>Amplify>Export.

I am using Windows 10. I have a USB Blue Yeti and standing sound booth (it's as soundproof as I can make it for homemade). Thank you for your time and any feedback!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_galaneth.mp3

JHarvey
Posts: 10
Joined: May 16th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Post by JHarvey » June 22nd, 2018, 12:27 pm

Sounds great! :thumbs: If you'd like, you could look into a one-min test I just posted a few mins ago. I didn't use Audacity, however, and I didn't read out of the suggested test-recording words, but you could definitely still listen. But your recording sounds great! :clap:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12710
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » June 25th, 2018, 1:53 am

Hi Noah, welcome to the forum :)

I just listened to your test and your reading qualities are very good, you speak very clearly and slow enough to follow along. The emphasis especially at the end makes it very lively. :thumbs:

Regarding the technical aspects though, there are two things that need correcting:

1) your recording is in stereo, but we need mono. Since you use Audacity, this is easy to change:

> go to Tracks
> select Stereo track to Mono (your two "windows" will merge into one)

2) the volume is not loud enough. We accept recordings between 86 and 92 dB, with a preferred average of 89. Yours is only slightly over 83 dB. To amplify in Audacity, do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 6 (in your case now) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

Could you do these two changes please (no need to re-record), and reupload in the same thread so I can have another listen ?

Thanks

Sonia

Galaneth
Posts: 9
Joined: June 21st, 2018, 10:51 am

Post by Galaneth » June 26th, 2018, 10:09 am

Thank you for your time. It is in mono and amplified. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_galaneth.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12710
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » June 26th, 2018, 10:17 am

no, sorry it it still in stereo. If you have Audacity open you should see two parts of the window, the upper with waves, that's your sound, and the lower with only some background noise. Two parts of the window means Stereo, always.

Did you try doing the "Stereo Track to Mono" like I mentioned in my previous post ? Then you would see how the two windows merge into one.

Could you please try once again, with the same recording ? No need to amplify anymore, the volume is good now indeed.

Thanks

Sonia

Galaneth
Posts: 9
Joined: June 21st, 2018, 10:51 am

Post by Galaneth » June 26th, 2018, 10:51 am

Hopefully this is correct. I thought I had done what you asked last time, but perhaps I did not. It is in only one track and when I play it, it only comes out of one speaker.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_galaneth.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12710
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » June 26th, 2018, 10:57 am

nope it's still stereo :( You do use Audacity, right ?

Could you check the following settings please:

Under: Edit - Preferences - Devices

Under: Recording device, there you should have your microphone named and Channels: 1 (Mono)

Do you have that ? Maybe if you have Stereo there, it will always force it to stereo in the export. :hmm:

Try this please and please name your file differently, maybe attach a "new" to the name, just so we are sure you upload the new one.

Sonia

Galaneth
Posts: 9
Joined: June 21st, 2018, 10:51 am

Post by Galaneth » June 26th, 2018, 11:35 am

Alright, so I think I figured out the problem. Yes, I use Audacity and Soundbooth. Primarily Audacity, and for this instance (and future Librivox stuff) Audacity. So everything was set to mono. Even when I hit ctrl+p and checked, it was set to mono. The track was in mono also. HOWEVER, when I was saving it, I saw something I haven't noticed before. There were three boxes at the bottom that said "joint stereo", "stereo" and "force export to mono". I had "joint stereo selected" as I normally do radio theater and it sounds more immersive to be able to have sounds coming from all directions when I edit. I had entirely forgotten about these options. HOPEFULLY, hopefully, hopefully, that fixed it.


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_galaneth_new.mp3

Thank you for your time, sticking with me and checking my audio files.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12710
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » June 26th, 2018, 1:06 pm

YES !!! that's it. Now it's mono.

Strange about this option in the exporting program :hmm: I actually also have the "joint stereo" box ticked, because in my old Audacity version, the export to mono option wasn't available.

Well, be that as it may, you managed and now you are fully ready to record for real :D Here's your official OK. I hope you find plenty of cool projects to dig into.

And now hearing that you are active in theatre, I definitely hope to see you over in the drama forum :9: We always look forward to new talents in our groups. Maybe I'll hear you in one of the plays I am Prooflistening soon.

Have fun !

Sonia

Post Reply