My One-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
doviecross

Post by doviecross » June 19th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Here's my one-minute test!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_doviecross.mp3

I hope I've done this correctly. I'm using Audacity, on a Mac, with a USB mic. Thanks for your help!

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 19th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Hi there Dovie!

Welcome to Librivox!

You did a very good recording - there is only one small issue and that it is too quiet! Our target range is between (86–92 dB), with 89dB being the best. Your recording is at 79.9 dB. It is easy to fix though. However that said, I found when testing it that when we increase the sound, some noise in the recording shows up so we will fix both and then I have sent you a utility for you to check your progress prior to sending the link back to me.

In Audacity, with your recording open, highlight the blank space at the end where there is no recording - that is what we are going to use for the noise cleaning. With that second or two highlighted then go up to Effect > Noise Reduction and select Get Noise Profile. It is very quick! Now Highlight your whole recording and go back to Effect > Noise Reduction and enter 6, 6.0, 6 and Reduce and press OK. This is going to clean your noise. I have tested this already.

Now with your recording still highlighted, go up to Effect > Amplify and enter in the box 11 (it should say 14 and that is too much to amplify by) and press OK.

Now Export your recording to MP3 and try running it through the Checker Tool which is what we all use to check to make sure our recordings are correct before sending them in for proof listening (what I am doing for you). This is its location: https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

You select File and then pick your recording and see if you get a Passed for your recording. Don't worry if you do not - see what the reason is and let me know and I will help you fix it! Please also upload the file like you did before and RESPOND TO THIS THREAD with the link so I can see how you did!

If you have any questions please let me know!

Lynda

doviecross

Post by doviecross » June 20th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Hi Lynda!

Well, things do sound better after following your instructions! The checker said that I passed, so hopefully I'm good to go.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_1_doviecross.mp3

Thank you for your instructions, they were really easy to follow. Let me know if I need to work on anything else - I'm really excited to get started!

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 20th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Hi Dovie!

That is an excellent recording now! Congrats!

You now can go explore the forums of Librivox and choose chapters in books to record!

You have passed your test recording - now go have fun!

Lynda

doviecross

Post by doviecross » June 20th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Woo! Thank you! :)