The one-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Tatry1763

Post by Tatry1763 » June 19th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Hi,
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Tatry1763.mp3 ; Audacity ; Windows ; USB mic
This is my test, I'm kind of new to how everything works, so please feel free to comment on anything I did wrong. Also, I have a couple of books I would like to read, such as Giaur by George Gordon Byron or Gosc Oczekiwany by Zofia Kossak; and I'm not sure how I can get permission to read them. Also, I saw on the forum that someone wanted a reader for " The Tale of Jimmy Rabbit" by Arthur Scott Bailey, and I would like to volunteer to read it, if it is available and my recording facilities are alright. Thank you.
Julianna

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 19th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Hi there!

Welcome to Librivox!

I have listened to your test recording and there are several things that need to be fixed on it prior to your being able to start recording on your own. Also, I am the person who is coordinating the Jimmy Rabbit book and it is all full of readers now. Do not worry - very soon, once all the recordings are submitted, I will be posting another book from the series and hopefully you can participate in that book! I will have to look up the other two books that you mentioned and I will get back to you on those. Normally, when people are new to Librivox, they learn how to record books by taking chapters in books and learning the process prior to branching out and doing a solo recording. You have to take on a lot more responsibility when you do a solo recording.

So, here is what we need to fix on your recording. The first 3, I am going to let you refer to the Setup Instructions for the Librivox Test Recording. It is laid out in there how those settings are done.

The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound.
The bit rate should be 128 kbps.  
The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR).

Next, the volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). We aim for 89dB on our recordings. Your recording came in a 93dB, which is a bit of a misnomer as you also have a high amount of background noise in your recording. So I am going to suggest we leave the volume and focus on the background noise instead and reducing it.

The audio has a high level of background noise which should be cleaned. You need to get your recording environment as quiet as possible. Close your windows, shut off fans, the TV, radio etc. Also you need to have your recording mic close to your face if it is a headset. I wear mine just in front of my upper lip and in front of my nose so I can still breathe okay. I have tried reducing your background noise myself and I am actually not able to without really altering your voice recording which we do not want to do!

I suggest that you take another look at the instructions for the test recording and get the 1st three items taken care of when setting up Audacity (mono), get into a more quiet environment and record the passage again and then when exporting fix the other two settings (128 kbps and constant bit rate). Like the instructions mention, please only use lower case characters.

Here is a tool that we use regularly that helps us check our recordings - https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html I suggest you install it and after you do your recording go to File and select your recording and see what the results are. You are looking for a Passed message on the right hand side of the window.

If you have any questions or at any time want to send me your file, please upload it like you did before and paste the link INTO THIS THREAD and I am more than happy to give you some more feedback.

Lynda

Tatry1763

Post by Tatry1763 » June 20th, 2018, 10:42 am

Hi Lynda!

Thank you very much for your advice, I will definitely look into my settings more closely this time, I guess I got a bit too excited about all this :D . I will post in my next test recording with the alterations as soon as possible. Thank you again.

Julianna

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 20th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Hi Julianna -

Just getting back to you on the two books that you mentioned - Giaur by George Byron would probably be okay as it was published according to this Wikipedia site in 1813 and later than that in Polish. https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giaur_(George_Byron) However I took a peek in Librivox and the book has not been recorded (that is good!) however it is also not listed in Gutenberg either http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/1708. Perhaps you can do a bit more poking around and see if you can see an online text as that is what we need so you can record from it and a person can proof your reading. As George Byron passed away a long time ago and the book is published prior to 1923 it is eligible to be recorded.

As for your next book/author - Gosc Oczekiwany by Zofia Kossak - neither the book or the author I could find in Gutenberg. Here is her link in Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zofia_Kossak-Szczucka She nor her book are not in Librivox either as they are not in Gutenberg.... Also she just died in 1968 and depending on what country you live in that might be a problem as for some countries like Canada where I live the author has to been dead I think it is 50 years. I think Europe and AU/NZ it is 75 years regardless of whether the book was published prior to 1923 or not. So due to that it is probably why she is not listed in the public domain areas for us to record.

Just thought I would get back to you on what I had found!

However, prior to taking the first book on, I would need to check with one of the admins of this group just to make sure I am correct in the fact that we can record a book not listed in the Gutenberg collection if you are able to find a online work somewhere else.

Lynda

Tatry1763

Post by Tatry1763 » June 23rd, 2018, 3:11 am

Hi Lynda,

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tatry1763.mp3 ; Audacity ; Windows ; USB

This is my new recording, I changed all the settings as you suggested but I still see there are some problems with my volume because checker still says that my recordings are not within the range 86-92dB, even though I tried having my mic at different volumes, and I had my environment quiet.

In regards to the books I suggested, I found Giaur by George Gordon Byron in Polish on a site that was published by one person on this forum:
https://wolnelektury.pl/katalog/lektura/giaur.html . I would love to read it if it was possible :D .
In regards to copyright on the second book, I don't know much about it but if you say that in Canada the writer has to be dead for at least 50 years and 75 in Europe and AU/NZ then could the book at least be available in Canada? Is that possible? I have found an ebook for Gosc Oczekiwany by Zofia Kossak: https://tadeuszczernik.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/kossak-szczucka-zofia-goc59bc487-oczekiwany.pdf
Please let me know if it is possible to read those books. Thank you for all your help :D .

Julianna

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 23rd, 2018, 11:09 am

Hi Julianna -

Thanks for your next test recording!

The volume is easy to fix! Often I have low volume too and need to amplify it to get it up within the range needed. I have played with this and sometimes when you do a big jump in amplification you also have to do noise cleaning (as the amplification amplifies the noise too) which has happened in your case. So these are the steps I went through to get your recording to pass. These are also steps that I often follow when fixing my own recordings so I would probably print them out and keep them for when you do your own recordings. The numbers that are used are dependent on the situation and how much you need to amplify or noise clean - which I will comment on more later.

First so that you can see what we need to do, with the recording in your Audacity window, click on the + of the magnifying glass so that you see 1 second increments of the recording.

Now, you will see that your recording starts between .5 and 1 second at the beginning which is good and what we need, however there are not 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording, if you scroll to the end. You need to add the 5 seconds of silence. To do this highlight the silence at the end which is just over 1 second and then Copy (Ctrl - C) and click somewhere in the space and then Paste (Ctrl - V). Then click in the space again and Paste and then do it one more time. You only need to Copy once. That should get you 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.

Next we are going to get you to highlight again 1 second of the silence at the end and then with that highlighted, please go to the Effect menu item > Noise Reduction and pick the Get Noise Profile button - it is going to look at the 1 second of silence that you highlighted. Now highlight the WHOLE recording (Ctrl-A) and go back to Effect > Noise Reduction and type in 12, 6.0, 6 and select Reduce. Now this 12 number which is the only one which you should change in the future is a very high number. I normally reduce in the 3-6 range however 12 is what did the trick in this case as we are going to amplify so much to get you to 89dB. Press OK.

Now, with the recording still all highlighted, go back to Effects however this time pick Amplify. It should list a number of 9 or 10 in the window. Please enter 9 or 10 but no higher and press OK.

Now you can Export your file to MP3 and try it in the Checker Tool. It should pass now!

Regardless of what happens, please post the link so I can see how you are doing and can check your file myself!

Talk to you soon!

Lynda

PS - I will get back to you on your questions about the books - I need to talk to one of the Admin people about the selections. I am presuming that you live in Canada like myself?

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 23rd, 2018, 1:00 pm

Hi Julianna -

Here is your answer regarding the books and the rules outside of the USA (which is just prior to 1923 the book needs to be published) for what books we can record - I got this answer from one of the Admins named Tricia.

"It's probably best for her to post her questions about specific books over in Book Suggestions. She can include the links she found also.

We can read things not on Gutenberg, but it's got to be clearly public domain. Sometimes other sites will edit the text and/or slap some restrictions on the use of the text.

Regarding other countries' laws:

Canada is Life+50, so any author and translator who died in 1967 or earlier is OK. The author that died in 1968, she can wait until January 1, 2019 to work on their books. :)

Australia is weird: Life+50 through 1955. For authors who died after 1955, it's Life+70.

Europe is Life+70 (so they're OK with people who died in 1947 or earlier)."

I hope that helps! So it seems that you should post to the Book Suggestions forum to get feedback on both of those books from the admins prior to setting out and recording them yourself. Also one of them you need to wait about 7 months to record if you live in Canada.

Also, we highly recommend that you get used to recording for Librivox first by participating in several group book projects so you can learn the ins and outs of how things are done prior to taking on a solo project yourself.

Lynda

Tatry1763

Post by Tatry1763 » June 25th, 2018, 8:29 am

Hi Lynda,

I'm sending you the recording with volume adjusted just as you instructed. It even passed the checker! :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tatry1763.mp3 ; Audacity ; Windows ; USB
In regards to the books I mentioned, there is no hurry and I will be more than glad to work on a group book project at the beginning, I just mentioned those books as suggestions and thank you I will definitely post these in the Book Suggestions section :-). Just wondering though, unfortunately, I do not live in Canada but in Europe, does that then mean I cannot read Zofia Kossak's book even in January 2019? I'm just asking because I thought, although the audiobook might not be available in Europe, maybe it will be available in Canada? Thank you tons for your great help! :D

Hope to hear from you soon!
Julianna

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 26th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Hi Julianna!

You pass! YEAH!!!

You are now able to go cruise the Librivox forums and look for books that you might fancy!

Unfortunately, you cannot read the audio book in January, 2019. In Europe, the author needs to have passed away for 70 years (Europe is Life+70 (so they're OK with people who died in 1947 or earlier) for the work to be in the public domain. I believe for Zofia Kossak's book you will need to wait for another 20 years to record it unless you took a trip to Canada in 2019 and recorded it when you are here!

The reason why I say take a trip is that the USA does NOT have the +70 years (for Canada the +50 years) rule and if there is a book I really like, as I live in Vancouver, BC Canada which is 30 minutes from the USA boarder and I am often in the USA visiting my friends, I will record books in the USA that I cannot record in Canada while down there visiting :)

I hope I did not confuse you even more!

The NET of this discussion is for YOU - the book has to be published prior to 1923 AND you need to add 70 years onto the year the author died and it has to equal this year or a prior year for you to be able to record the book.

So now go have fun recording!

Lynda

Tatry1763

Post by Tatry1763 » June 28th, 2018, 1:43 am

Hi Lynda!

Thank you very much for all your help :D I will now go and do some recordings. Thanks again :D

Julianna