1 Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
jkrawczonek

Post by jkrawczonek » June 19th, 2018, 8:05 am

Hi. I hope I'm doing this right. Could someone please give a listen to my 1-minute test?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jkrawczonek.mp3

Thanks.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 19th, 2018, 8:22 am

Hello jkrawczonek,

Thanks for the test. It sounds like your microphone is capable of getting the nuances of your voice pretty well.

You've uploaded the file to the right place, which is great. The file has the correct bitrate, which is also nice. :thumbs:

There is a couple things about it that you will need to fix, though.

First off, the recording is in STEREO. We can't use stereo. Please make sure to change your settings to record in mono. You didn't say what software you were using, so I am not sure where you'd go to fix that. If it's Audacity, then Ctrl+P for Preferences, Devices -> Recording, Channels = 1 (Mono).

Second, your recording is too loud. You need to reduce the gain on you microphone, or move away from it somewhat.

Please download and install Checker (see this wiki page for instructions) and run your MP3 though it. The volume is on the Information page. We need 89 dB (anywhere between 87 and 91 dB is also OK). To fix the volume in post-processing you can amplify the entire track or make it softer. In Audacity you would use the Amplify effect.

There is also some background noise, but let's deal with it after you get the rest straighten out, OK?

So, mono, less loud, get Checker and run your file. Once it says "Passed" (without warnings), you are good. Upload the file again and post a reply in this thread.

Hope to hear you soon! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please