1Minute Test Arrowheadaussie [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
arrowheadAussie

Post by arrowheadAussie » June 18th, 2018, 4:54 pm

I used the Audacity software and my built in mic, but did just order a new Samson mic..

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_arrowheadaussie.mp3

Thanks

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 19th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Hi Aussie,

Thanks for the test.

If you fix the stuff you need to fix, most of this is going to be OK with your new Samson. Mostly you'll just need to ensure that the volume is fine (and it is OK now :thumbs: ).

What you need to fix is basically the settings. Once you set them, they should stick and you'll likely never need to change them again for LV.

So, to start, your recording is in stereo. Please change the number of channels to 1 (Mono). That's in Preferences (Edit -> Preferences...), Devices, Recording, Channels.

Once you got your track to record mono, please make sure to export it with constant bitrate (yours is variable) of 128 kbps. If there is a setting "Force the export to Mono", do it as well.

That's pretty much all. Our PLers use Checker to verify technical stuff. Download and install it, and use it check your MP3 files.

Look forward to seeing your updated test file. Post a reply in this thread with the link when you have uploaded a new file. :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

arrowheadAussie

Post by arrowheadAussie » June 20th, 2018, 8:20 am

Hopefully this is better... I received my Samson mic, please let me know. Thanks Jon

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 20th, 2018, 8:47 am

It's better, thanks.

It's not all the way there yet. :? I guess you didn't download and install Checker, did you?

The recording is in mono, which is great. :thumbs: The bitrate is constant, which is also great. :thumbs: The bitrate quality is 192 kbps, and we need 128 kbps. :(

The volume went down too much, also. You don't need to re-record, though. You can just load the project file and amplify the entire track to fix it.

Let's do this: you download and install Checker (see this wiki page for instructions) and run your file through it. On the 'Information' page it will tell you the volume. Our target value is 89 dB. You take your track, select all, do Effect -> Amplify... and enter the value to get from where you are to 89. Can you do that?

Once you have amplified your track, export the MP3 with proper bitrate (constant, 128 kbps), then run through Checker again. Only upload when it says "Passed".

If you still have questions how to get there, do ask. :)

One other note: on your test recording I can hear some other voices in the background. Did you have a TV set on? For a real LV recording please make sure no other sounds (especially as distracting as TV or radio) are audible. Thanks! :)
tovarisch

arrowheadAussie

Post by arrowheadAussie » June 20th, 2018, 9:29 am

I downloaded Checker, and the track passed with warnings, I can seem to get the target value to 89db I followed the instructions but when I try and enter 89 db I get a pop up that tells me I'm out of range...

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 20th, 2018, 9:41 am

When amplifying, you don't enter the target value, but the difference between the desired value and the actual one. If Checker tells you the volume is 75 dB, and you need 89 dB, then the value you put in Amplify effect dialog box is 14 (89 - 75 = 14). Similarly, if your actual value is 95 dB, and you need 89 dB, the value you enter is -6 (89 - 95 = -6).

Sometimes you have peaks that are too high and the amplification will mean clipping. You can either amplify as much as to prevent clipping, which may not be enough, or you'd need to allow clipping.
tovarisch

arrowheadAussie

Post by arrowheadAussie » June 20th, 2018, 9:45 am

Feeling pretty dumb here! I did try and enter the + but it says I'm out of range the range they have is + - 50 my recording came out at 9db.

arrowheadAussie

Post by arrowheadAussie » June 20th, 2018, 10:30 am

This passed the test, so hopefully I have the kinks worked out!

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 20th, 2018, 11:49 am

Thanks, Aussie! :thumbs:

You are ready for LibriVox.

An admin will eventually stop by to mark this thread with an OK, and you can already head to our "Readers Wanted" forums and pick a group project to join, claim a few sections, and read away!

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch