1-minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 20th, 2018, 12:01 am

BurgundyGrace wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 11:53 pm
I'll write to JayS now, and tell him of my little strange computer ... with only one port. :lol:
awwww, worst-case-scenario :? But Jay is a highly tenacious guy as well, he won't give up easily ;)
Ah, well. No great endevor of which I've ever been member began smoothly, but there's high chance of all turning out beautifully.
hah, I so understand what you mean. Me and technical things NEVER work on the first try. But once it's set up, it will run smoothly, it always did. You just need to be persistent. Don't give up (we won't).

Sonia

BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace » June 24th, 2018, 12:40 am

Yayyyy!
After much work by many, we have a 1-minute test!
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_burgundygrace.mp3

Thank you for all of YOUR help, Sonia!
I hope to soon be able to help *you* with projects. :D
~Angelique

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 24th, 2018, 1:12 am

wow 8-) Angélique: I think Jay worked a miracle :lol: seriously, this test passes all the requirements, your new microphone is absolutely clear sounding and there is nothing to hold you back from recording lots and lots for LV now. :9: :9:

This is your official OK

I want to thank YOU for not giving up. Believe me, your case was a very tricky one and I can SO understand if people get frustrated by technical problems. A lot would have given up, but I'm glad you didn't. Your reading is really nice to listen to, so I hope I'll hear a lot from you in some projects soon enough.

I bet you and Jay will celebrate now :birthday: Well I guess I will be joining the "virtual" party. Here's to us. :thumbs:

I see you have already claimed some sections, but if you are interested in taking part of a project of mine, I am currently doing Book 3 of the World Story. It's the history of the world narrated in art, literature and also essays. Book 3 is about Africa and Arabia. You can see in the Magic Window how many pages each section has, so you can start with a shorty of 1-3 pages, if you wish. :)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70457

Sonia

BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace » June 24th, 2018, 2:19 am

Thanks, Sonia!
I really couldn't have done it without your guidance; I'm pleased and relieved!

Yesss. A celebration is in order, and absolutely, all involved well deserve praise. *Laugh* Here's to us, indeed!

I have read sections in Book 3 of the World Story and would like to complete sections 55 and 90. They are short enough to get through in fairly quick time and will be good to practice editing on. Welll, Sec "55 Morocco law (sixteenth century)," by Edmondo de Amicis may take a little longer to read/edit because I'll have to quell my laughter, and will not entirely, at first, be successful in so doing.
It has that *zing* to it that is so enjoyable. (I will sign up in the appropriate thread.)

Thank you again; I'll start some recording, in earnest, later today.
I'm excited to do so.

Best,
~Angelique

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 24th, 2018, 2:23 am

BurgundyGrace wrote:
June 24th, 2018, 2:19 am
Welll, Sec "55 Morocco law (sixteenth century)," by Edmondo de Amicis may take a little longer to read/edit because I'll have to quell my laughter, and will not entirely, at first, be successful in so doing.
It has that *zing* to it that is so enjoyable. (I will sign up in the appropriate thread.)
:9: thanks, looking forward to that. And if you get a slight smirk in your voice at the appropriate places, please leave it in, the readers will notice that you found it funny and it will enhance the enjoyment of the listening.

Sonia

BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace » June 24th, 2018, 2:51 am

Will leave in the smirks, but not the sound of me falling over sniggering.
We shall see what happens now!
~Angelique

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 24th, 2018, 4:41 am

BurgundyGrace wrote:
June 24th, 2018, 2:51 am
Will leave in the smirks, but not the sound of me falling over sniggering.
:lol: yes that might be a wise choice, we should keep a medium of seriousness in the text :mrgreen:

If you are inclined to "really act it out", then I suggest the drama subforum. I'm very active there myself. So if you choose any of Todd's plays, chances are high you will get me as prooflistener. In drama we encourage "playing it out". :9: Maybe one day I'll see you over there.

Sonia

BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace » June 24th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Thanks, as always.
I'll peruse the Drama category one day, too!
~Angelique

JulieMDM

Post by JulieMDM » June 25th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Kitty wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 2:22 am
BurgundyGrace wrote:
June 19th, 2018, 2:06 am
Unfortunately, the computer came with Windows 10; roll-back to earlier version was another techno disaster, and so it seems I am stuck with this. *sigh*
I so understand you...I dread the day I need to buy a new computer. :?
Hm! You may be on to something here! The microphone selected under recording devices is Realtek High Definition Audio, which I DO think is the Windows option.
Yes, the same is true in Audacity ... it's recognizing Realtek High Definition Audio. (I HOPE that I've not been wearing these headphones for hours without the sound picking up ... but ... yes, that's a likely possibility!)
yes I would think that you used the Windows mic all the time. So that may be a possibility for the sound.

For Audacity to pick up the microphone, you need to plug in the mic BEFORE you open Audacity !!! So plug in your mic, then open Audacity, then go to the microphone icon and scroll the arrow down to select your mic. Be careful to do that each time you record. If you open Audacity before you plug in the mic it will always revert back to Realtek (I know...I had the problem before :lol: )
Yes, with a little tweak, I was able to get Regain to work well; the result is -7.1 db.
It sounds as if there is much work to be done to get it within correct range. :shock:
yes that's what I said, about 6 db less would bring you to 90 dB. We accept between 86-92, with a good average of 89. ReplayGain calculates it to 89 exactly, but 90 is just as well.

it's easy to decrease or amplify in Audacity:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -7 (don't forget the MINUS sign !!) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

but this doesn't help with your sound here, in fact the beginning now will even be too muted to hear. So we need to get the correct microphone working.
I do promise to help PL many projects and to otherwise assist as I can; recording classic works is important, and I'm pleased to be involved!
oh PL work is always welcome too :) so while we figure out your sound problem, you can always do this.

Don't lose hope, we will try until we figure it out. The good thing is, once we are over this problem, recording will be fun !

Sonia
I've just read that and it was soooooo helpful !!! Thank you so very much !
I learnt the Ctrl + A trick and I just downloaded and installed Replay Gain. It's like a miracle ! So practical !
Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you, it can be quite a lot when starting on LibriVox.

-Julie-